1 (edited by Virago Deb 2012-05-04 17:24:30)

Topic: attaching a tiller pilot to tiller

Hi all,

Ok, I broke down and bought a used tiller pilot (though still determined to master sheet-to-tiller steering!).  Question is, how does one attach the steering arm (push/pull thingy) to the ship's tiller?  Does one need the bent metal tang, or can it be attached by mounting the pin upside down directly on the underside of the tiller?  What are folks out there doing?  Pondering creating a slide-on bracket of some sort with the pin stuck to it - something that puts the load (hopefully light) onto the full thickness of the tiller.

Using this site reminds me of the old B.C. comic strip - I feel like I'm chiselling a question on a stone tablet and setting it in the sea and letting it "swim" away into the sunset, then waiting to see what answer comes back the next day.

Re: attaching a tiller pilot to tiller

Mine just has a pin that sticks up from the top of the tiller. But the mount for the fixed end just outside the coaming is elevated to keep the unit level.

3 (edited by Fessalo 2012-08-15 07:01:25)

Same here and it works fine.
Hi Phil, Will email pictures with tapeline within a few days. Cheers.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

A high mount will have a LOT of leverage on the side deck.  You *WILL* need a very substantial glassed in ply baking pad.   The bent metal mounting pin holder that bolts under the tiller is really the best solution. 

On an early original UK boat, the correct mounting position for an Autohelm ST2000 is about halfway between the cockpit and the transom.  Mine is 3" forward of that to give it more leverage on the helm (at the expense of response speed) and bring the controls a little closer to the cockpit.   

Remember, the manufacturer's recommended distance from the rudder pivot point for the pin on the tiller almost invariably assumes a vertical rudder post.   You need to measure at right-angles from a line through the pintles - which (on original UK boats at least) can be approximated by measuring from the inside of the transom in the stern locker and adding an appropriate allowance for hull thickness and gap between the transom and the pivot point.  If you measure straight along the tiller it will be too close to the pivot point and will be overloaded.

5 (edited by Virago Deb 2012-05-04 17:23:15)

Been reading old posts - the search function is handy.  I saw on an earlier tiller pilot thread, as well as in this one, that everyone has them mounted aft of the rear coaming, but Bilgeret had mentioned that, as an observation after the fact, he might have mounted his ahead of the coaming in the cockpit.  I was thinking about the same thing - has anyone out there done that?  I think I'll opt for mounting on the underside of the tiller, but where to put the power head is now the question.  Ian's comment re: better leverage traded off with reduced response time feeds into this line of thought.  Ian, does your unit work well for you in it's slightly forward position?

Well, its gone 6 years now without having to go back to Raymarine for service - which was more or less an annual event under the previous owner, and we use it a lot on longer passages when motoring or shorthanded.  I can only conclude that reducing the stress on it was beneficial.  You DO need to check that the tiller pilot can provide enough rudder angle for heavier weather if you change its position, and as I said, I only moved it forward a few inches.

Could any of you gents supply me with a picture of your set-up for your Tiller pilot.  I bought my Contessa this spring and it came with a tiller pilot but the previous owner never had a proper set-up.

My e-mail is  lippegnon@gmail.com

Many thanks
Phil