Topic: Rigging the spinnaker

One of my goals this summer is to get the spinnaker rigged and flown. I bought the boat a year ago and so far I haven't even pulled the spinnakers out of the bags to inspect them.

I have a spinnaker pole, which I've unseized and checked for defects.  It appears to be of sufficient length and strength so I'm not worried about that.  The spinnaker halyard is also my spare jib halyard.  It is relatively new and in good condition.

Q1)  How do you folks with symmetrical spinnakers have your lines rigged?
-  How long are your sheets?
-  Do you use lazy sheets/guys?
-  Do you have twings rigged?
-  How far aft do you have the turning blocks for both sheets (and guys if you have separate ones)

Q2)  What size line do you use for the downhaul?

Q3)  I'm not sure what is in the sail bag and want to make sure they are appropriate for the boat.
- What are the appropriate dimensions for a Contessa spinnaker?
- If you have multiple, what do you consider your code 0, 1, 2?

Q4) The uphaul is rigged.  Unfortunately this is not run back to the cockpit.
- Is it worth it to change this?

Anything else I'm neglecting to ask?

Re: Rigging the spinnaker

More info...

I just pulled my two spinnakers out and spread them across the living room.
The first, appears to be a proper symmetrical spinnaker with really nice spinnaker cloth.  There are a few small holes right near the head so I'll have to get that repaired before I try to fly it.

The second, I'm not sure what it is exactly.  It has a sail number of #121 on it so it definitely wasn't made for my boat.  It appears to be symmetrical in shape, and has red/green corners (one would assume port/starboard), but at the same time it doesn't have that "full belly" symmetrical spinnaker look.  It also has a tackline eye spliced to the (red/port) corner.  I wonder if the guy before me was trying to fly this as an asymmetrical chute.  It is cut with horizontal panels across the bottom and vertical panels at the top.

AH!  It's asymmetric!  I stretched it out over the pool in the backyard and it's definitely not symmetrical.  Looks like I'm going to have fun as soon as I get to go sailing again.  I hope it's the correct height.

Hey Jordan,
You'll find that your boat will truly enjoy flying in light air. Luff should be approx. 28 ft. but who's to look a gift horse in the mouth.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

I ordered the new sheets today.  They tell me 55' is enough per side and that it should cover me for both asymmetric and symmetric.  They tell me a few things...

The ISP (halyard height off deck) and JSP (spinnaker pole length) of the boat should be 31.5' and 10.3' respectively.  And the shop also recommended 180% of JSP for the foot of the sail.

My symmetrical is the right size.  yay!  Even has my sail number on it and in the right colours.  I can't wait to get it flying after I patch a couple tiny holes.

The asymmetric... well... I don't know the measurements for that one yet, but the luff is in the 28-30' range so I know I can get it hoisted.  Hopefully, it'll not only fly but fly well.  How do others find the asymmetric on the Contessa?

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC

7 (edited by JordanH 2012-08-18 18:17:33)

Sorry Jordan -- I just saw this post. 

I have a swivel block attached to an 8-inch extension bolted forward at the top of my mast which is used for my spinnaker halyard.

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC

Sorry Jordan -- I just saw this post. 

I have a swivel block attached to an 8-inch extension bolted forward at the top of my mast which is used for my spinnaker halyard.

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC