Topic: Yanmar 1GM10 Diesel Engine Discontinued

Hello Everyone,

I just got off the phone with the North America Yanmar Distributor in Louisiana (Laborde Products) who informed me that the Yanmar 1GM10 engine (that is such a popular engine upgrade for the Contessa 26) has been discontinued by Yanmar and will no longer be available.  I was very surprised by this and thought all of you Contessa fans might like to know this.

Cheers,

Brian

Re: Yanmar 1GM10 Diesel Engine Discontinued

Yeah, I think the smallest they offer is a two cylinder now.

The Beta 13(?) seems to be the ideal choice for repowering a Contessa now. Small, light, quiet, fuel efficient.

But I like the chunk-chunk-chunk of a one-lung diesel!

3 (edited by Ian Malcolm 2012-11-04 04:45:05)

Old news.  Its been a number of years now.  IIRC it was discontinued in some markets as early as 2009.  A few suppliers have some engines still available as NOS.   

With its waterpump/oil-line, engine mount and exhaust-elbow/head issues, I'm surprised it was available as long as it was.

The original Farymann K34 is still available for sale from the USA... as long as you aren't in the USA.  (Something to do with EPA requirements and they can't sell to boaters.)  They call it the 18W now but is the same engine.

There are also other engines you can pick up that will drop into the Contessa but many are 10+ hp.

One interesting note though, since the Federal government took over boat registration there is no longer a length requirement.  Therefore, if you stick with the original engine (or any under 10HP) you are not required to go through registration of your Contessa.

This is very interesting to hear what Ian said about the Yanmar 1GM10.  I didn't realize that there were so many design problems with that engine.  It sounds like it wasn't a very good engine anyway.  Ian:  If you could expand on your comments about the problems with the 1GM10 for the benefit of the new guys like me, I'd like to know more.

Are there any opinions on the engine that is in my boat......the Universal Atomic 5411 2 cyl 11 HP diesel?  I'm curious what others think that have had some experience with this engine. 

I was a bit shocked at the price of some spare parts at Torreson: $1200 for a starter, $600 for an alternator, $75 for a glow plug, etc. (later on, I found the link for a knock-off starter for $260 -- but the other parts had no cheaper option)

Brian

6 (edited by Ian Malcolm 2012-11-07 14:00:30)