Topic: Need some help guys: Lifting boat with sling

Re: Need some help guys: Lifting boat with sling

You would probably need a diver to be certain the sling is correctly located.  It obviously mustn't bear on the propellor or shaft and if it slips, is likely to rip the rudder off before they can stop the lift and drop you back in.

Thats what I told him too. Risk to the rudder and the prop shaft. Not sure what they're going to do to lift that boat if they can't get a belt under her.

Fortunately for me, a fellow sailor, was a diver, and brought along a wetsuit and snorkel. This appeared to be the only option available, since the boat was in 10 inches of mud and the rudder was stuck fast. The sling was thread thru in a couple of minutes and the boat was hauled out without incident. I would have to say it went better than trying to fit the sling under the rudder in shallow water, as in previous years.

Thanks to Ivan, (I assume posted the pics) of the photo of Morava in the gallery, with the sling thru the rudder.

Otherwise we may still be there trying to dig her out.

I bought my boat in Bayfield... Even after they 'dredged' the basin, with spring run off, I reversed out of the slip for the first time and hit ground.  We had to drag the boat through the mud in order to get to the dock for mast stepping and then back again across the basin into the slip.  I moved the boat to Goderich after the first night.

If Django is in the same basin... yikes and good luck.

Ohh!  Hi.  It's always nice to meet people in real life and then again online.

I saw South Shore was up for sale last year.  How's the new owner?  Is he willing to get it properly dredged or will you all have to find someplace else to keep your boats?

Hi Jordan,

New owner has started to make improvements and has stated they plan better dredging in the spring, although the predicted water levels may work against them. Have you noticed any adverse effect of water levels on Lake Ont. ?

Hi Just saw this - apologies for the late reply.  Did the boat come out okay?  Yes it is always fun taking her out with the strap so close to the prop and the rudder.  But so far using a line to bring the strap through and having a good view of the stern seems to work.  Hope your boat came out okay.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266