Topic: Getting the Ice Box Insulated

My ice box has almost no insulation at all.  The back and aft side of it are extremely hard to access.  I'm wondering what others have done to get this ice box insulated properly so your ice will last a reasonable amount of time.  I'm considering cutting the ice box out with a jig saw from the top, insulating it, and then dropping it back in.  Then, I suppose I'd have to add some sort of wood top to the sink/icebox area to hide the jigsaw cut line.  Before I start making the chips fly with a power saw, I wanted to hear what others have done to get their iceboxes insulated effectively.

Re: Getting the Ice Box Insulated

It depends on your ice box.  The Contessa has numerous cabin layouts that vary from a half-sized ice box on the port side to a full, sliding cover icebox on the starboard.

I have not changed my icebox design.  Like yours, it does not insulate well.  If I need insulation, I bring a proper modern cooler.  Otherwise, it's just beer and drinks and ice lasts for two days in cold water.

Some other ice box lessons...
1) I learned the hard way to remove all paper labels of anything that goes in the ice box.
2) Do not bring items that require refrigeration.  It's a luxury, not a necessity.
3)  Packing ice blocks on the bottom with frozen items, then more frequently used items on top helps to keep items cold longer.
4) Do not accidentally block the drain or everything is swimming.
5) No glass bottles (no glass on the boat either.)

I'm curious to know how your icebox is difficult to access... all of the designs I have seen have been open from the top and easily accessible.  Please post a pic or description of your layout.

Here is my 2 cents worth on cooling. I fill 4 liter wine containers (the one that come in a box), freeze them and drop them in the ice box. They last much longer than ice cubes and do not leak.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

That's a good idea Fessalo.  I do the same thing (make my own block ice with soy milk cartons).  Here is the photo of my ice box.  I'm also wondering if I couldn't use that expanding foam (great stuff) for crack fill in housing applications to insulate in those hard to reach areas and then glue foam board on the areas I can reach.

Post's attachments

ice box 3.JPG
ice box 3.JPG 73.79 kb, 1 downloads since 2012-11-15 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

You could build wooden walls 3" from the sides and front, then mix up and pour in self expanding foam liquid. It would flow into the areas that you can not get to.

Seeadler,

That sounds like a very intriguing idea.

I'm not familiar with the product (self expanding foam liquid) though.  Where do you get this stuff and what is the brand name, etc.?

expanding liquid foam is a two part liquid like expoxy. You quickly mix the two parts together and it starts expanding into the cavity. I am not sure how the R value compares to rigid boards designed specifically for insulation. One other factor to consider on a long voyage is that ice is hard to find in many areas or very expensive. I started my year long trip with an ice box and half way through converted it to electric. The frig0boat units are very efficient. I only had a solar panel for power. I paid $9 a block for ice in Bermuda. In the Azores it was unavailable except at the fish plant for free at a particular time if you were lucky and after a mile walk. I eventually gave up on ice.