Topic: Mounting Batteries Securely in the Bilge

I'm having some difficulty trying to figure out how to get my batteries mounted securely in the bilge.  It looks like I've got room for one battery for starting the engine and two deep cycle batteries for the house bank.  I'd like to get them all secured solidly so they will not become weapons of mass destruction if I get a knock-down out in the middle of an ocean somewhere.  I do have one heavy-duty fiberglass battery tray that I could probably figure out how to get bolted down in the bilge, but I can't seem to find somewhere to purchase a couple more trays like it.  The only thing I'm finding is those really flimsy plastic battery boxes with lids that don't look like they'd fit through the bilge access panels.  Does anyone have any advice about how they got their batteries secured solidly in the bilge?           Thanks for reading -- this forum has been a big help to me as I wander my way through a complete re-fit.

Re: Mounting Batteries Securely in the Bilge

I'd just pick up another fibreglass battery box and fibreglass it in, with a strap over the top to hold the battery in place. Or build your own battery holder with wood and fibreglass it in place.
It'll work fine.

And then question whether the bilge is the best place for the batteries in the event of water up to the floorboards?

4 (edited by bertinol 2012-11-13 05:27:50)

You want to keep the batteries low and on the midline of the boat because they are heavy and augment the ballast.
A good electric bilge pump should keep the water levels low. And if it fails or can't keep up, a hand-operated Whale gusher is a good idea. If that fails, keep lots of flares handy!

For the winter, drill a drain hole in the bottom of the bilge and install a bronze garboard plug to keep the boat dry and free from rot. It's amazing how many people don't do that.

My boat had a garboard plug. So did Jose's as I recall. I thought they came  that way from the factory.

If your batteries do flood, and you are in salt water, you will get large quantities of toxic chlorine gas.   Not Good.

My batteries are in custom built epoxy ply battery boxes reinforced with glass taped corners that lock down on mounting rails in the cockpit locker.  Each battery has a retaining strap.

These are all very helpful suggestions.  Thank you for your replies.
Ian -- Where did you get these "epoxy ply battery boxes"?
I think this fiberglass tray that I have would work pretty good too if fastened it or glassed it in and then ran a strap around the battery to hold it in the tray.  What I like about this tray is that it is heavy duty with about 1/4" sides.  Attached is a photo of it.  Does anyone know where you can get these fiberglass battery trays.  So far all my efforts to find them have been in vane.

Post's attachments

battery tray.JPG
battery tray.JPG 84.72 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-13 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Built them myself out of 3/8" marine ply with 1/2" bases.  Inside dimensions 1" bigger than the battery, all joints filleted on the inside, screwed and glued and glass taped with 2" tape on the outside.

Interesting, interesting.
I have a battery compartment, immediately forward of the companion way stairs.  There is barely room even for two batteries and when they are in there, it is near impossible to remove them.  As far as I am aware, I have never seen a drain plug.  Any water that leaks in remains.

Further, there is absolutely no room for any sort of battery box.  In fact, the previous owner kept a battery that was too tall for the space and you can see where it has marked the cabin sole cover.

10 (edited by Ian Malcolm 2012-11-14 13:05:09)

Fair enough.  But I'd like to have a cover to keep water out.  The battery box is right below the companion way where foulies drip, rain gets in and wet dogs lie... it collects enough water and would just as soon not have to reach my hand in tight cracks where water, electricity and potentially acid meet in order to sop it up.

And until I find some batteries with a smaller form factor, I'll just live with it as-is.

Another issue for me is that I need to get heavy things forward as much as possible.  I already have an engine (Universal 5411) that is a bit heavier than the original design and more weight aft would be a problem.  I'm starting to think that Gel Batteries would be the way to go for a circumnavigation because they are sealed with no gases or acid issues.  Yes, more expensive, but probably worth the extra money when your in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
And Once again, if anyone knows where to buy these fiberglass battery trays like in the photo, I'd love knowing where.  Thanks.

You can always make a plug and laminate one up yourself.  The advantage of doing it over a plug rather than in a mould is a smooth inside surface + its easier to build a plug.  Don't forget enough taper to get the plug out!

Like Jordan, I've shoehorned two batteries beneath the companion way steps.  And similarly, I also have no battery boxes.  I wonder if there is a tough rubber bag which could be used to enclose the batteries.  Or, as suggested, just switch to gels and be done with it.

My engine seacock is also accessed at this trap door.  In fact, were it removed I might be able to squeeze in a third battery.  Of course I bash the seacock each time I lift the battery in and out of the boat so it is a less than ideal arrangement.

Check eBay under marine battery box

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool