Topic: Need a boost?

In order to pull through winter on my aging car battery I carry along a booster pack (approx 50$ at Cdn Tire)in my trunk. I used it a few times this winter and it starts the car with no hesitation. Sailing on a single battery and using the autopilot I will not worry anymore about draining my battery and not being able to power into a marina. From now on the small power pack will be nestled underneath the cabin floor.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

Re: Need a boost?

fressalo

I have considered doing the same, but have wondered, does the re-charging unit hold a charge for months on end? There is no point in having a backup charging unit you only use 1-2 times a year if it doesn't function when you need it.

Ant thoughts?

John

I was actually surprised when the booster pack which was charged more than a year ago started a car on a cold morning with a battery which was completely drained when park lights had been left on. Instruction recommends that the pack be charged every 3 months.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

I have one of these with a compressor built in to it so that I can pump up my tires with the same convenience.  Damned if I can figure out why I always have at least one leaky wheel whenever the tires are changed from summer to winter. 

Another Canadian Tire special -- watch for the sales.

Since mine is being used weekly on one of my tires (spring is just 11 weeks away!), I charge it regularly using the handy cigarette lighter plug.  With respect to keeping the thing charged, the answer is a cigarette plug on board -- thus when your engine is running you are topping up the booster pack too.

I had a season where the alternator did not work on board, nor did I have a reliable charger.  I used a similar battery pack to charge the boat's battery by leaving it connected as if boosting the boat, and then plugging it in to the shore power circuit to charge.  The unit's charger sensed that the voltage was low across the two batteries and applied current to bring everything up.  Not the best thing for the batteries nor the unit, but it did work very well.

The guts of these booster packs are lead acid gel cells -- 7 to 12 amp hours.  They charge using a low current trickle charger.

Happy winter from snowy Montreal!

Christopher