Topic: Anybody move batteries inboard from cockpit ?

I believe that in the Canadian Contessas the standard battery placement is inside under the cabin sole. Both of mine are there and present no problem. If water got over the top, the acid may leak, but the vents are very small, so this show not be a problem over a short time.

Re: Anybody move batteries inboard from cockpit ?

My batteries are below the cabin sole, just forward of the bilge sump.  If the water gets high enough to flood them in this location you'd have bigger problems than the small amount of acid diffusing thru the vents...  If it concerns you choose an AGM or other sealed battery next time they need replacement.

In addition to improving your weight distribution, you might end up shortening the cable runs to your starter and electrical panel, giving you less voltage loss...

The Canadian Contessas have a flat floor about 11" under the cabin sole. This provides a nice storage area and seals off the keel below. If the keel were to be damaged, no water would get into the hull. Is the English Contessa the same?  A boat (make unknown)crossing the Atlantic with the ARC rally a few years ago had a similar fiberglass keel molded as part of the hull, but without the top sealed. The lower leading edge of the keel split along the join and sank the boat. So it provides safety and a good place to store batteries and beer.

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

I hear how  you boozers have storage trouble: kegs of rum, bottle of wine, cans of beer, heaven help us! ;-)  My batteries are indeed below sole, just forward of companionway steps, on their own shelf.  REmove floor board, they are right there, almost flush with sole (couple o'inches below)  Better there than in cockpit, I'd think...move the &^*(*&^ wine into the cockpit!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]