Topic: backstay flag mount

I want to mount my "stars and stripes on the backstay so that it is up and out of the way of the monitor windvane.  When I look for some sort of kit for sale that is intended for this purpose......I'm not finding much out there.  Does anyone know how to do this?  Thanks much!

2 (edited by bertinol 2013-01-30 06:59:59)

Re: backstay flag mount

You can buy little "flag clamps" that attach to the backstay. They do not harm the backstay, they fit anywhere (as long you don't have a backstay tensioner) and they can be removed, leaving no trace behind.

You can use two flag clamps, one above and one below flag, or use one clamp above with an attachment of some sort on the rear pulpit.

Genco has them in Toronto for $7.95 each.

This is good to know oliver. I've just unearthed my box of 'sailing bits' and found my Canadian flag. This'll be the third boat I've had it on, but wasn't sure where to put it, since at this time there's no flagpole.

Hello Oliver,

Thanks for the reply.  I found something called "flag clips" at West Marine Online (Manufacturers:  1. Tigress  2. Du Bro).
Are these the clamps you are referring to? 
These clamps that I found didn't mention being used on a backstay........only tensioned halyards, etc.  And it looks like if the backstay was clamped between a metal hook and a plastic spring retainer, that there might be some metal abrasion to the backstay.  Your thoughts?    Thanks,  Brian

Post's attachments

tigress flag clip.jpg
tigress flag clip.jpg 7.63 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hello there.
Nope those little clips are different. They are meant to attach the flag to the flag line.
The ones I am referring to are called "flag clamps."
Imagine a flat piece of metal about 1.5 inches long with a hole at one end.
Then imagine another flat piece about one inch long with two small bolts through it.
Bolt the two flat pieces together with the stay between them and the hole sticking out the end.
Voila! The metal clamps hold on firmly to the stay and there is a hole sticking out for you to attach the flag, a flag line or a small block.
I was talking to Sandra at Genco yesterday. Give her a call and she'll stick one in the mail for you. $7.95 each plus a contribution to Canada Post.  She's at 905 278-2891

Or you could make one yourself with some metal brackets, a drill and a pair of bolts.

Hi There - I tried the tigress flag clamps represented in your picture on my backstay - and nope they are no good, you have to put some tape on the stay to stop them from sliding down.  But I will try those flag clamps from Genco.

Cheers,

IR

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

I've rigged a flag halyard that runs up to the top of my mast, adjacent to the back stay. I tie this off on a stainless cleat installed just below the back stay split.  I rather like being able to hoist "the colours" up nice and high on a breezy day!

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC

8 (edited by bertinol 2013-02-15 19:20:21)

Back before they invented Windexes, we used to tie a club burgee onto a three-foot long bamboo stick. We tied the flag halliard to the bottom and middle of the bamboo with clove hitches and hauled it up. The burgee used to fly a foot or so above the top of the mast, looking very smart.
But unfortunately, the bamboo would get in the way of the Windex, and the Windex invariably won.

Two Rolling hitches or a Prusik loop done with flexible cord approx 1/3 the stay diameter will hold reliably on 1x19 wire.   Pop the toggle at the top corner through the loop and push it up the stay to the desired height.  A half hitch round the stay just below the flag holds it close to the stay, and if the tail is thin enough, two rolling hitches will hold the flag taut, otherwise use another Prusik to tie off to.

N.B.   Take the Prusiks off the stay when you take the flag down when you leave the boat - you don't want a buildup of dirt excluding oxygen from the stainless surface as that can cause crevice corrosion.   

P.S. If you clamp anything round a stay use Duralac to reduce the risk of  corrosion.