Topic: What's your story about dropping something in the bilge?

So, let's admit it -- we've all dropped something in the bilge, never to be seen again. 

Last weekend, I set about replacing the fuel lines on my Contessa's Farymann.  Lost one of the copper crush washers for a banjo bolt (and subsequently not as easy to source as one might imagine!!).  Bink, bink, bloop.

Last year I did a really good clean out of the bilge, and managed to recover the remnants of screwdrivers (plastic handles had long since dissolved), nut drivers, stainless hardware, and an antique caliper -- I suspect much of this had been down there for decades.

What's your best "dropped it in the bilge" story?

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC

Re: What's your story about dropping something in the bilge?

I managed to drop my engine oil filler cap into the murky bilge.  After quite some time of fishing around down there with the long grabbers, I gained 2 of somebody else's screw drivers that I still use today, a bag of zip ties, the oil filler cap and *almost* a credit card.  The credit card still lies in the deep...

All I can say is I'm thankful for the bilge drain!  Yep, one of those long, flexible thingies for picking stuff dropped down household drains is handy, one of those things with a grabby spider-like end on it.  My little side cutters lived in the bilge for a few years before the light was just right one day and I spotted them.  Fortunately they were where I could grab 'em.  Unfortunately magnets don't work on stainless...Have considered stringing a fine net across that chasm in front of the engine, but will probably have to drop a few more things down there before I stop thinking about it and actually do it.  If I remember correctly, the NOOOO! I yelled down there actually echoed a bit.

Our bilge finds when I got the boat included half a 1/4" square drive ratchet wrench - the half that had been above the bilge pump float level was completely corroded away,  assorted small tools, about a cup full of assorted hardware and a briar pipe the previous owner's crew had lost a few seasons before while contemplating the engine.  This was all well marinated in an evil semi-solid mixture of rust from the engine, mounts, coupling & etc. soot, stern gland grease, oil and diesel and general bilge 'spooge'.  We did offer Jack his pipe back, but for some odd reason he refused!  It has since been polished up and mounted for a club trophy. big_smile

Since then most of my toolkit and many fastenings have been down the bilge for the night - as if you loose something as the light is going facing the dismantling and acrobatics required to get it back is best left for morning, but I try to keep it as clean as possible so the flexible 4 claw grabber/pickup tool or the ceramic magnet have the best possible chance.  Occasionally I still have to resort to the dessert spoon with the right angle bend in the handle stuck on the end of a bamboo cane.   

For fiddly stuff under the cockpit sole, put lanyards on the tools!

Pet Hate: when you drop something small and you cant find it at the bottom or under the engine because it is jammed under the waterlock muffler. mad

Laughing here Ian!  Yes -- I was still losing bits down into the bilge on occasion. this past Fall.  And yes, much lost under the muffler, probably never to be seen again (or until the water-lock is replaced)!

~Paul

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC