Topic: Mounting Tri-Color Light to Masthead

Hello Everyone!  I recently purchased a OGM Tri-Color/Anchor/Strobe light for the masthead.  I also purchased the mounting bracket that is made for it.  It is not clear to me how to mount it though as the bracket is not long enough to mount it to the side of the mast below the casting that holds the pulleys for the halyards without the light fixture being to low and obscured by the mast.  And it looks like a difficult proposition to try and mount the light on the casting that contains the halyard pulleys because of the issue of the mounting fasteners interfering with the halyards, etc.  So far, my best idea is to mount a piece of aluminum flat stock about 3/16" thick to the mast and then mount the OGM bracket to that.  Does anyone have any suggestions about this light mounting?  I'm eager to hear from you veterans before I start drilling holes!  Cheers  Brian

Post's attachments

OGM Tricolor.JPG
OGM Tricolor.JPG 149.62 kb, 3 downloads since 2013-04-02 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Mounting Tri-Color Light to Masthead

I drilled and tapped 2 small blind holes directly into the top of the masthead for my anchor light. I drilled them into the solid portion between the shackle and the slots for the halyards in the bottom portion of your photo. The wires are then routed around the outside of the masthead and into the mast pretty much where you have a hole already. Make sure you use a grommet in the hole to prevent fraying. You can use the same hole for the VHF antenna cable. Mine's been there for a few years now and no problems.
John

.                               ,,,,,
                               (o o)
------------------oOO---(_)---OOo------------------

Re: Mounting Tri-Color Light to Masthead

Hi, By looking at the set-up, the clevis pin, if long enough, might be used on the bottom end and if the plate is wide enough the bolt on the upper end?

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool