Topic: Ground Plane Installation for HF Radio

Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased an HF radio that I am bringing along on my circumnavigation.  I'm planning on hoisting a 20 meter dipole antenna on the mast and using the radio to send radiogram messages to family and friends via the maritime mobile network and the national traffic system.  I'm interested in building an effective ground plane in the boat so that I can switch over from the dipole antenna to an insulated backstay antenna with a tuner (so that I can used other ham bands besides just 20 meters for transmitting).  I'm wondering if anyone else has built a quality and effective HF ground plane in their contessa and if so, what the details of this installation are?  Perhaps there is some sort of copper strapping that has a sticky side to it that can simply be peeled back and stuck down to the inside of the storage lockers.......and then all connected together in some relatively painless way?  Cheers,  B

Re: Ground Plane Installation for HF Radio

Is that service still through Globe Wireless?  It is an interesting service.

There are ground plates which are easily installed but do require drilling a couple of screw holes in the hull.  These look like blocks of copper foam and offer a very large surface area for the ground.

Check your numbers though -- a sat phone can do data too and does not require the complex installation.  Plus, where will you put the radio?  Our boats are tiny!

Hello Christopher,

I'm not familiar with a service called globe wireless. 
An HF ground plane is a bunch of copper tape that is place in the hull and coupled to the SSB radio's (or ham HF radio) negative RF conductor.  It is conducts to the water through inductance and does not need a physical electrical connection.  Pretty cool, huh!  I'm still unclear as to what products there are for building this ground plane, though, and how the copper tape is all connected together in a way that won't corrode, etc.  Cheers,  B

I came across Globe Wireless a few years ago as a relatively inexpensive Inmarsat service.  They were using the HF radio and SSB technology to transmit data.  Basically it was a cheap way to have email on board 15 years ago.  The company is still around but I believe the service is updated to Satellite using Inmarsat & Globalstar.

Anyway, my point is that the prices of Sat Phones and Satellite data is falling so fast it seems to me that one might be better off not bothering with the SSB.  It is a complicated installation in an already crowded boat.  For my own coastal use I was considering my cellphone and a RadioLabs hi-gain wifi antenna on the mast.  No good offshore though.  Were I to venture into the great blue then I think it would be easy to justify a sat-phone.

Let us know how it works out.  Post some pictures!

Christopher

Wait -- scratch that.  Inmarsat is top of the line. Iridium and Globalstar are the less expensive cousins.  My mistype.

Christopher,

That is very interesting about the falling prices of HF email service.  I'm going to have to look into that.
I'll keep you posted.  Brian