Topic: Vented loop for cooling water

Re: Vented loop for cooling water

To prime the strainer, first close the seacock.  Fill the strainer to the brim with water (the water will fill the intake hose as well).  Screw the top on tight making sure it is well seated, and then reopen the seacock.  If the lid is properly seated no air should get back into the system and the strainer should remain full.

"Vented Loop"?!  I panicked for a moment: I have a vetus strainer, and it is installed above the waterline, just under companionway sill, and my little Farymann 1 cyl engine's waterpump pulls the water through just fine.  I didn't prime anything, it worked the first time...and when I had a mechanic reinstall the engine (after the rebuild) he said I had installed it correctly.  So...where is this vented loop on intake water I wondered?  Then realize it is just if the strainer is below waterline?   Which it shouldn't be, then I read rest of posts, duh!
I check each time I run engine to ensure strainer is not leaking, nor has rattled off its bolts.
Peter, congrats on getting the boat into the H20!! How exciting!!  Now, to really test that engine, back out to PORT, in a CURRENT!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Ha ha Shannon not much current at the Lake I am trying everything out, but I'll do that when I get her to San Diego.
Thanks for the input Bill, I should be able to get it going correctly now. The filter did not have any instalation documentation with it, but is above the waterline.

Hi all, the continuing story of my repower.
I have the boat in the water! first test runs went reasonably well.
One issue remains. My water filter was installed above the waterline, after the vented loop. The waterpump could not prime it this way and we removed the filter and the vented loop out of the intake loop. After that the engine ran great, (I'll bring the GPS out for speed checks next time). Here the question: If I put the filter below the waterline, and the vented loop where it was above the heeled waterline, is the Yanmar 1GM10 pump strong enough to get me cooling water?
Thanks everybody for all the help over the last 6 months, I am getting really close to having a nice boat!