Topic: Boat towing services

Any of you had your boat towed? How far did you have her moved? What did it cost? Who did the moving for you?

Re: Boat towing services

You are wise to get numbers before you buy the boat Adrian.  It may be better to pay more for a local boat than to buy one far away and pay a huge transportation bill.

If your boat is on a trailer, then you will have more options.  Also, keep in mind that trailers do not do well 'sitting'.  You might find a Contessa on a trailer and find that you have to put a couple of thousand dollars into getting it roadworthy.

I recently helped a friend move a Beneteau 32s from Nova Scotia to Montreal.  I went through U-Ship which is like eBay for trucking and had good success.  U-Ship is helpful as the carriers/haulers bid on your job.

Here is the full-style for the guys who worked for us this year:

Service provider: proboat
Name: BOTHWELLBOAT WORKS
Email address: kopriva@mnsi.net
Phone: (519) 436-4984
Secondary phone: (519) 785-2498

These guys were formal and professional and did a great job.  They operate several trucks hauling boats around North America.

Christopher

Adrian
I moved a Contessa from Meaford to Toronto last spring. I contacted three different shippers, all of whom used these nifty hydraulic trailers which lift the entire cradle. I was quoted three prices -- from $800 to $1,100 -- so shop around.
It will be cheaper if they have a return load. Some tow-ers were leery of using their trailers after the roads are salted, so better hurry up.
I considered buying a secondhand trailer for $1,000 and towing myself, but you'd need a substantial pickup truck -- a Ford F-150 would be marginal -- or a U-Haul van. You'd then have the problem of storing the trailer in the summer months.

Oliver, could you email me the names of the companies you contacted?

I may be relocating from Sarasota, Florida to Duluth, Minnesota and I would like to consider having my Contessa 26 towed on a fancy hydraulic trailer by a professional.

I have a trailer that I use for taking the boat to the marina and home but I am intimidated by the prospect of a cross country trip.

Also, my trailer is not set up for highway travel and my van might not be up to the task.

Timing is not so important to me so I might be able to be the return load for a hauler bringing a Canadian vessel to Florida for the winter.

Any recommendations?

JJT Contessa 26 #320