Topic: cockpit floor panel fasteners

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to figure out how to get my cockpit floor panels secured. 
When I look at past postings regarding this issue, I've seen the floor anchors made by PYI suggested a few times.
Although they seem like a great design, it appears to me that they would not work because the minimum thickness of the floor panel needs to be 1/2" and my floor panels are about 3/16" thick.
Does anyone know what fasteners would work or have any suggestions about how to get this job done right?
Thanks much,  Brian

2 (edited by bertinol 2013-08-01 04:09:40)

Re: cockpit floor panel fasteners

My cockpit floor has DZUS fasteners. They are very clever bolts that are used to attach panels on airplanes, racing cars and motorcycles. You insert them, they engage a spring underneath and you give them a quarter turn. You can release them in a hurry without tools - a wonderful idea.

They are available at an industrial fastener wholesaler near Pearson airport in Toronto but you have to buy 500 or so at a time at a prohibitive price.

If anybody has any idea where to get 10 or so, I'd be eternally grateful.

Otherwise, another member recommended electrical panel bolts -- see my posting last February under "WANTED."

Hi
Wondered if beefing up the floor underneath the PYI units would provide a secure base to insert the casings? Didn't follow up on the idea and instead installed a hatch large enough to give access to regular maintenance. Floorboard now properly sealed and solved water seeping through.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

Dzus fasteners are available at Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. The have an outlet in Ontario. They will sell in much smaller quantities.

Sounds like dzus fasteners are the way to go.  It seems like there are several different designs (some rivet the female part down to the lip where the panel sits and some just have a clip that rivets down etc.)  I would like to go ahead and get some dzus fasteners but I'm still confused about which design is best for this cockpit access hatch application. 
Is there anyone who might be able to post a photo of their dzus fastener installation or maybe a detailed explanation about how the male part of the dzus fastener mounts to the access panel and how the female part mounts to the lip of the access hole would suffice?
Many thanks for all the help solving this problem!

BNOLD 5000...
I'll fetch one of my Dzus fasteners tomorrow and post the dimensions.
Sounds like Seeadler has a good source. I'll check them out next week.
I'll be thrilled to finally find a good source.

After some more research online, I'm guessing that the best design of dzus fastener for our contessa's cockpit floor panels would be the type that simply fits through a hole in the floor panel and grabs a spring that is riveted to the underside of the flange that the floor panels rest on.  They look like a clean, simple design but the only apparent disadvantage seems to be that the dzus fastener would not be held captive and could easily fall out and drop in the bilge or overboard, etc.  I did see some split rings that aircraft spruce was selling with no explanation as to their use -- I wonder if those rings are used to hold the dzus fasteners captive on the floor panel?

fyi -- my 1971 Contessa has cockpit floor panels that are about 3/16" thick.  the seal would compress to about 1/16" and then the flange that the panel sits on varies a lot in thickness anywhere from about 3/16" thick to about 3/8" thick.  I'm planning on using a trim router with a rabbiting bit to machine the thickness of the flange on the underside to an even thickness all the way around for a quality install because the depth tolerances for the dzus fasteners are pretty tight.  I'll probably machine the flange to about the same as the door panels (3/16").    Cheers

If anyone has any photos to post of their dzus fasteners on their cockpit floor panels............this would be very helpful.
Best wishes,  Brian

Progress!

Victory, almost!!

I headed down to Aircraft Spruce at Brantford Airport yesterday on the trail of Dzus quarter-turn fasteners. They told me that we need -- DZUS AJ5-90 -- fasteners. But unfortunately they had none in stock, they are expensive and ordering takes a long time.

They referred me to David Clubine at Britain West Motorsport, a mile or so closer to Brantford, at 148 Pleasant Ridge Rd. 519 756-1610 . Clubine supplies parts for Formula Ford racing cars, including a modern version of the Dzus fastener. These are used to hold body panels onto the cars.

He recommended model -- EHF5-85 . They are of cheaper quality than the original Dzus fastener, they have a flat head instead of a slight dome, they are slightly shorter and you have to cut off the retainer, a two-minute job. But, with a little push, they work. 

I bought 12 at $5.70 each for a total of $68.40 plus HST. 

And they work!!!!!!  I may have to chamfer the hole very slightly but I see them as a very good alternative to the DZUS.

David Clubine seems like a decent guy. I'd order one from him to see if you approve and then go ahead. Or if you are in the Toronto area, pick up one from me and see if it works on your boat.

A quick search on eBay found many DZUS fasteners including the AJ5-90s for about $1 each.  I'll need to go to my boat to check the DZUS fittings I already have.  I thing some spares would be in order.  In particular though, what I need are the springs.

Cheers!

Christopher

I'm happy to report that I bought some Dzus fasteners on eBay and they work just fine, ending an 18-month search! 
Thank you Christopher for tipping me off to eBay. Don't know why I didn't think of that.
Make sure you order part no. "Dzus AJ5-90". I tried AJ5-65, but they are a little short.
For people unfamiliar with Dzus fasteners, they really work a treat. You insert them into the hole, give them a quarter-turn with a dime and they lock the cockpit floor down tight.
They were designed to hold down the cowlings on airplanes, racing cars and sport motorcycles where you have to act fast with no chance of breakdown. That means they work well on Contessas!

If you folks are re-working the fasteners, chances are you've revisited the sealing gasket around the hatch.  I need to replace mine - any advice about what to use there?  There are two layers of some sort of bevelled rubber stuff around mine and it doesn't seal well at all.

Hey Oliver!  Glad you had success.  I got as far as putting one of my DZUS fasteners in my pocket but was not certain how to size it for length.

I will order my spares shortly!

On a side note, my DZUS fasteners fit fairly loosely on the panel until they have been twisted down.  I was thinking about a ring of heat shrink around the fastener.  It would serve to reduce leakage around the fasteners.  And if sized right, it might just keep the DZUS fasteners attached to the sole panel, making it more difficult to loose them.

WRT gaskets, I bought some excellent 3M foam rubber on EBay from a supplier in Hong Kong.  Works great on the cockpit lockers so I am thinking about a similar idea for the cockpit panel.

Good idea, Christopher, cos the Dzus screws fall into the bilge and are hard to recover. I have a three-foot long grabber that I bought at a dollar store. It picks up all sorts of old nuts and bolts from the oily mess down there.

More bilge treasures!   I think my companionway keys and a flashlight went in there last week.  smile

I used 1/4 x 20 stainless steel bolts with stainless fender washers over rubber washers cut from EDPM.

To ease installation and removal I use a 'speed wrench"and a 6 point socket.

DZUSS fasteners are excellent for low load applications where ease of removal is the top priority. 

I used them to secure the fairing on a roadracing motorcycle and they worked great for that but I wonder if they would provide the clamping power necessary to achieve a water tight seal for the cockpit floor.

Tania had an angle iron frame made for the cockpit floor in Varuna that helped her keep seawater out of the bilge by providing a flat and strong surface support the cockpit floor panel.

I am planning a similar support for my C26 #320.

JJT Contessa 26 #320