Topic: Track Removal

I assume that yours is a JJT.  They are all bolts or 1/4-20 flat head screws with nutz. At least mine were.  I replaced the original aluminum track with bronze. I had to drill out all of the fasteners. They were quite corroded.

Re: Track Removal

What kind of fastners did you use to put the new track on?  If you bolted, how did you get to the bolts that are in the middle of the tracks?

All fasteners are 1/4-20 bronze machine screws with nuts and washers. Because the new bronze track holes were on different centers, new holes were drilled.  The interior liner did not interfere with putting on the nuts although the clearances were quite tight.

Take some pictures as you do it.  And are you doing it by yourself or do you have help?  And doesn't the track double as the hull/deck joint at that part?!

I don't think I'll be doing it at all.  My interior is not factory built.  I don't know if the roof liner is or not but it completely obscures the fasteners for most of the track.  There's no way I'm going to cut it.

Also, I read in a recent boatworks about the risk of distortion if the the hull/deck joint is removed.  I think I'll just make sure it's well calked and watch for leaks.  With the non-factory interior it's very easy to see the hull if required.

I want to re-bed the genoa track mostly as a precaution.  It appears that the only visible fastners are bolts.  Does anyone know if the ones concealed by the edge of the cabin ceiling are screws?  If this question doesn't make sense it could be becuase my interior is not factory built, thpught the cabin top seems to be.