Topic: Renaming Ceremonies ?

Re: Renaming Ceremonies ?

If your boat is registered rather than licienced in Canada, there is more bad luck around the corner. When I bought my Contessa, it cost $150 to change the owner in the Canadian vessel registry. I had planned on changing the name later, but discovered that it costs $250 to change the registry name. The existing name suddenly sounded better and I could not think of a better one, so Seeadler she remains. You can have the boat deleted from the registry for only $50, but I needed registry for entry into foreign countries.

After a weekend of working on the beautiful old girl (reason for flattery follows) I'm interested in anybodies experiences of renaming their boat.

- Did you toast Neptune ?
- Put a new penny under the mask ?
- Or sing a ditty and run (or swim) around the boat naked three times ?

I'm just courious having renamed my boat on Saturday morning from "Moonshine" to "Ploughboy Dreamer"  (long story which I'll explain on my website in due course) I seem to have suffered bad luck ever since !

Fristly my fan heater started sparking and clanking on Saturday afternoon so I had to go out and buy a new one; then in my little (ho, ho, ho) exercise of moving the batteries from the cockpit into the cabin I found one to be completely dead despite having been trickle charged and then in locking up the cabin doors late this evening  .... balancing on the cockpit floor joists (as I have the cockpit floor up)....I hear something fall out of my pocket, hit the back of engine and drop into the bilges.... A quick check confirms it's not my car keys... so I pop inside to get a torch and put a light into the bottom of the bilge....only to see  my nice leather wallet and it's contents of credit cards, cheque book and driving licence gently slipping into the bottom of oily water.

So what do you reckon... is this a one-off or should I consider a renaming ceremony for the boat; if so any recommendations on the proposed ceremony ?

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]