Topic: Mainsheet Traveler Troubles

Hello everyone,

As I was going through the rigging on my Contessa, I noticed that there seems to be a problem with my mainsheet traveler.  As you can see from the attached photo, I have a car but only one (moveable and locking) stop block.   

I'm not really sure how this traveler arrangement is supposed to work, but it appears that you hold the traveler car in a specific place by moving (a pair?) of stop blocks as close as possible to the car wherever you have it positioned. 

Perhaps I am also missing some sort of stops at each end of the traveler that keep the moveable stop blocks from sliding off and going overboard. 

Does anyone recognize this traveler arrangement I have and can help me figure out what I'm missing?

Thanks much,

Brian

Post's attachments

Traveler.JPG
Traveler.JPG 241.53 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Mainsheet Traveler Troubles

Here is some more photos that might be helpful.  The Traveler rail width measures 31 1/2 mm.

Post's attachments

Traveler Stop Block.JPG
Traveler Stop Block.JPG 147.51 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

one more photo

Post's attachments

Mainsheet Traveler Car.JPG
Mainsheet Traveler Car.JPG 178.9 kb, 1 downloads since 2013-10-04 

Hello mhall,

Thank you very much.  That is exactly what I needed to know.

Best Wishes,

Brian Nold
briannold@maxedoutvoyages.com
maxedoutvoyages.com

Does anyone recognize the brand of the pinstop that you see on my traveler and know where I might buy another one like it?  It has no markings.

The traveler car for the mainsheet has "IYE England" stamped on it.  But as you can see from the attached photo, it doesn't look like my traveler car and the one pinstop I have were made to work together (because of the beveled mating surface on the traveler car and the vertical mating surface on the pinstop). 

If I could find another pinstop like the one I have, I could file the beveled edge on the traveler car until both pinstops are able to engage when each is up against the traveler car, holding it in position firmly.

Once again, if anyone knows where I might get another pinstop like the one I already have, I'd very much appreciate knowing where.

Thanks much,

Brian

Post's attachments

DSC00001.JPG
DSC00001.JPG 108.86 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

One more thing that I didn't make clear above is that:

One would think that the system would be designed so that mainsheet car could be locked in a specific location and held utterly captive by the sliding stops, but whenever one stop is locked on the rail and the car is pushed up against it, the other stop (I held the car still while I used the one stop I have) can only be locked about an inch and a half away from the car so that it can bang around some.  Thanks again for anyone who comments.  Brian

Hello there.
Some of these older travellers can be hard to match because they keep changing the specs. I'd take the stop and go through the spare parts bin at a chandlery and find something that seems to fit.
A better idea is to toss out the stops and put on a functioning traveller system with two blocks on the car and at each end, with a jam cleat. Then you can move the traveller car with one hand while steering with the other.
The best part is that you won't have to match the current track. Just tap and bolt the blocks to the car and the end of the traveller.
They are too complicated to explain but there are lots of sailing boats with one that you can copy.