1 (edited by jeanmarc 2013-10-17 13:34:18)

Topic: Stringer Construction & Repair

Hello All, new to this site.

I'm looking to acquire a Contessa 26, JJ Taylor built from 1980.  The boat looks in great condition save for one rather troubling find.  The rib below deck and underneath the maststep has one single and substantial looking crack in it.  Does anyone know what the internal construction of these ribs are?  Or know where I can find this information?  I have emailed the JJ Taylor 'under construction' site, but have not heard anything back...  I have included a picture of the crack.  Anyone know if this is merely cometic or potentially dangerous?  Right now it feels a deal breaker.

MUCH OBLIGED, JMD

PS.  I've always thought ribs lined the hull, is there another name for a rib that runs along the ceiling of the cabin?

Post's attachments

DSC_2051.jpg
DSC_2051.jpg 28.38 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-10-17 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Stringer Construction & Repair

Great photo.  I haven't the foggiest what it is showing.

I sense a little sarcasm in your post.  Nonetheless, here is another photo showing you where this crack is.  The previous photo is taken directly below the rib looking up at it.  You can see the red "Fire Extinguisher" sign in both photos. Unfortunately the Yacht Broker was a little pressed for time and I didn't get much time to set up for a better photo.

Post's attachments

Screen Shot 2013-10-03 at 5.11.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-10-03 at 5.11.jpg 898.16 kb, 3 downloads since 2013-10-19 

Not sarcasm at all...it's still a great photo.  It appears to be "crazing" (not a crack) that is probably in the gelcoat only.  The cross beam is a rugged GRP structure that flexes a bit.  Since the gelcoat is somewhat brittle, crazing here is really not a structural issue.  Look at it with the mast stepped and unstepped and see if there is any difference.

Thank you very much for your reply.   To further inform the photo... I am very familiar with crazing.  I've poured over Don Casey's "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" many times while inspecting possible candidates for my vessel.  With this crack, I took the flashlight and put it up flush against the bottom of the rib and looked at it from the side, since the crack continued up on either side of the rib.   From either side, I could see light spilling up into the rib at a distance of about a quarter inch, at which point I think the advancing light was stopped by some sort of internal material (wood?).  I've tried to contact JJ Taylor & Sons to see what the internal structure composition is.... but it seems that they've been bought by a larger company and my response has not been answered.  If there is a piece of metal inside this rib, then the situation might be salvageable, however if it's wood, the whole beam could be rotted.... The search for a deep sea worthy Contessa continues.  I am extremely determined to circumnavigate back home to Boston in support of Lupus research.  So, still looking for a Contessa 26 in Vancouver, BC. Canada.  Thankyou very much for your responses mhall!

You may be seeing a crack in the interior liner.  Although the liner itself provides little, if any, structural strength, I would be concerned with what caused the crack in the first place.  Not a good sign if you're planning a major cruise.  Finding the cause could require major surgery.  Regardless of the cause,  repairs could be done that would equal or exceed the strength of the original.  Keep hunting unless you can buy the boat at the right price.

line seems really straight to be a crack. hard to tell from the photo tho.

mhall, thankyou for your excellent response.  I've decided to hold off on making an offer and let time and savings build up, see if any other contessa's come on to the market. 

Otherwise, does anyone know what the internal structure for JJ Taylor Contessa Stringers and Ribs are?  Or the original Roger's Contessa?

9 (edited by seeadler 2013-10-26 08:12:23)

If you are unsure of the strength, you could add an additional beam under the mast step. I added a beam to mine. See pic. It is a laminated oak beam Approx 2" x 2". It is bolted from the aft side through the glass beam, the plywood bulkhead and through the oak beam. You can see some of the black bolt heads in the pic. Someone else has added some pics of a similar installation showing the forward side. Do a search for "beam" in the galley section. Before the beam, the rigging would be loose after the first time sailing in hard conditions each year due to the roof sagging. My setup has two transatlantic crossings on it without a problem.

Post's attachments

Beam under mast step.jpg
Beam under mast step.jpg 31.78 kb, 4 downloads since 2013-10-26 

Hey John!

Sorry for the aside everyone. 

Nice photo.  Is the electric pump in the head a spare bilge pump or a macerator for the holding tank?

Christopher