Topic: Looking for advice or information

Re: Looking for advice or information

Hi Jean-François!  Welcome to the forum.

This topic has been covered in other threads.  It is easier to comment if you let us know your intention for the boat.  Sail around the world?  Explore Nova Scotia?  Cottage boat?  I love the Contessa but it is far from the perfect boat -- your plans, budget, available time, patience and skill tells us a lot.

Contessas are simple and strong.  The boat you are considering is 40 years old and holds the history of multiple owners -- some motivated and attentive, others less so.  It show bumps and bruises of years of use and misuse.  Many dreams have been aboard the boat, only some of which were fulfilled.

Boat are what you make them.  Your effort and investment will transform the boat into what you want.  Your commitment is key -- I have seen beautiful boats that were neglected for a couple of seasons that fell into quick decline.  I have also seen what money and hard work can do to bring life back into one of these boats.

For this particular Contessa, note that it is selling for $7000 (on a trailer!).  This is the low end of the price spectrum so expect a project.  It will not be in sail-away condition.

To learn about these boats you have come to the right place -- explore the forums and you will see repair and restoration projects some owners have tackled.  You'll learn of some great ideas for improvements and you'll read about the fun and adventures people have had over the years.  Here you will also find generous support from other owners -- Ask your questions!

Good luck!

Christopher

Thank you for that enlightning response Christopher.

My project are to sail in the area arond Rivière-du-Loup, on the St-Lawrence river, going to Rimouski, Tadoussac, La Malbaie, etc. From what I've read, I guess the Contessa would be a proper boat for these waters. I would be sailing as musch as I can, wich means from may-June to October, every chance I get ! Eventually, I would like to go futher and try a crossing to NewFound Land or the Magdanela Islands.

Kestrel id offered at 6500$. Transportation form Halifax to Rivière-du-Loup would be another 1500$. Where you refering to Kestrel when you said that "it show bumps and bruises ..." ? I'm really new to boat owning. I have the firm iontention of working on the boat I buy but I have no experience what soe ever in taking care of a boat. I want to learn tho :-)

Tnaks again.

Hi again Jean-François!

I am surprised others on the forum have not put in their two cents.

The Contessa is a fine boat for coastal sailing.  It will serve you well.

Now, four questions:  how tall are you?  will you sail alone or with others?  have you sailed a Contessa?  and have you sailed on other boats out of Rivière-du-Loup?

The Contessa is a very small boat -- ideal for someone 5 feet tall and a disaster for someone 6'6".  It is also a tight boat.  It is a bit like camping in a small tent when aboard.  Secure and comforting but it is also easy to trip over other people.  With 3 kids and a wife aboard I would say look for another boat. 

The Contessa is a great boat to sail.  I love how it looks after itself -- that you can release the sheets and the tiller and the boat seems to magically heave-to and settle down.  It is also low to the water and prone to heeling because of its narrow beam.  It can be splashy and wet in waves.  If you have not yet sailed one I would wait to buy until you have done so.  Ask around -- there is bound to be someone with a Contessa close to you.   I know there are Contessas in Quebec City.

As for sailing from Rivière-du-Loup, go to the Marina and ask around -- look at what boats others are sailing.  People are always looking for crew and love to talk about their boats.  You can learn a lot AND do a lot of sailing without owning a boat of your own.  It will also give you a better idea of what works in that part of the St. Lawrence.  I would expect to see more pilot houses and larger inboard engines on these boats.  The St. Lawrence, esp. the North Shore is cold and has strong currents.  Newfoundland is very cold.  The Mags are warm and a great destination.  So is PEI.  Because of the cold, the sailing season is shorter on the St. Lawrence.  I was in Charlottetown a couple of years ago and they were launching a month later than we did here in Montreal. 

Finally, all used boat have bumps and bruises.  That is life with an old boat.  Specifically with respect to Kestrel, do not buy her sight-unseen and do have her surveyed.  Ideally go through the boat with the surveyor so that you can ask questions and learn more about what you are getting into.  The most valuable part of these boats are their inboard engines -- make sure this one is in working order.  Also, note that there are enough Contessas around that they come on the market frequently -- often on Kijiji.  Spring is when most are listed.  You may find one closer to home that will be a better purchase.

There you go -- more to think about.  You are on the right track though -- ask before you buy!

Christopher