Topic: Stepping down the mast

I have tried.  I think it would be possible if you had sufficent help but there was only 2 of us so we decided to take the 2 minute motor over to the government dock and use the crane there, much easier!!

Re: Stepping down the mast

I cut a base plate that fits around the mast for this purpose, and plan to make a stepping pole with pullies on my trailer, so it would be a 1 man job. I will take pictures if I am succesfull, I am about to drill holes to secure the plate, I will let you know.

on the list of things to do once the boat is in the water is to make a 'tabernacle' mast step.  bruce bingham has a detailed instructions on how to use one in the sailor's sketchbook.  great book....  don't even know if you can still get it...  cheers

there is an article about creating a tabernacle mast step under technical stuff but it looks like a lot of hassle, i think i will just stick to using a crane.  It is quick and safe and easy and free.

I would like a "safe, easy, and free" Sherlock crane! ;-)
I wanted to lower mine myself, but there's a limit to us A-types and our boats?! ;-) I paid a rigger to take mine down, and I had to pay for a crane rental: $275 Can!  I watched everything they did (I undid all turnbuckles and shackles, etc.) and I now know I could have done it myself except for the weight and awkwardness of the mast for one 5'5" person, obviously. 
Tabernacle setup would be good, however, I plan on only taking mast down very infrequently - but does anyone think I should consider a smilar tabernacle like the one in Technical Stuff, now that my mast is down?  I have lots of time (but no money, ha ha, oh that's not funny)

And when I am ready to put the stick back up, I will find one of the free cranes I am now being told about after paying a rigger! ;-)  Win some, lose some, learn some!

Peter, keep us posted on yours!  (send me pics!)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Yes I need to drop my mast and it cost 275.00 aswell.How did he drop your mast with a crane?Thanks George

Hi George;

The rigger had himself lifted up by the crane, he undid items at top of mast (tri-color, antenna, halyards all pulled through)

The crane itself was mobile, (a crane on a 5 ton size tow-truck style truck) and the operator wwung the crane over the boat, (truck sitting high up on the travel lift dock) and he pulled the mast up about a foot, with ropes wrapped around the spreaders and mast and the riggers held foot of mast and positioned it slowly horizontally, putting  it forward on the bow pulpit and the top of mast on the pushpit.

I didn't take any pictures, as I was madly scrambling to protect my decks from rigger's boots (yes, they just JUMP on from the dirty dock!!!)  I bagged and labeled all the bolts and turnbuckles.  The rigger was great (one guy and his helper, and, um, me kind of being helpful but likely totally in the way!

The whole process took not even an hour, from the time I pulled my boat into the slip to the time the travel-lift came over to lift my boat out and load it on the transport truck. 
All the guys in every part of the process were prompt and efficient and polite, right down to the friendly guy who drove the transport truck and then built supports for the boat at my sister's farm...a small bonus of our busy marine industry here in Vancouver, I guess?!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Thanks for all that great info!!What year is your boat and was the mast step bolted to the deck?Mine is an 1985 and not sure if the 4 bolts need to come out and the casting recessed  inside cabin top comes off with it or if the mast splits from the lower plate on the mast.So is there an recess in your cabin top now or did he leave an aluminum plate still with the boat? Thanks George

Yes, there is an aluminum plate left on the deck, and the mast has a tenon joint on the desk that fits into the heel of the mast.  I had just one bolt on the aft edge of mast heel, not at the front, even tho' there was a hole for it. 
I've noticed that many boats have different mast steps.
My boat was built at end of 84.
I'll take some pics this weekend when I go to my sister's where she is on the hard, in the muck! ;-)

That s great as I have to move my boat in 2 weeks and want to take down the mast with some friends.1984 means you own a JJtaylor 26 is that right?Do you have a gimbled oil stove in yours and a head?If I am asking too many Questions just tell me.George

Thanks John!
Hi George: no you aren't asking too many questions, I always do!!
I have an enclosed head on the starbaord side.  I have gimballed Origo 3000 2 burner non-pressurized stove, I like it alot.  It is on the starboard side, and sits low in its spot, so won't catch anything on fire like Stefan D's boat!!
I am very happy to send you some pictures of anything, just ask - send me an e-mail: rhiannoncontessa26@telus.net
Our boats are probably very similar: do you have the teak and holly sole as well?  Let's talk! ;-)

Has anybody stepped down there mast without a crane on a JJTaylor 26.Looks like it has a place on the back of the mast step to maybe pivot the mast aft??Thanks George

Well I managed to raise and lower the mast by myself, without any outside help.
I did weld up a tabernacle, but the system described on pocketcruisers will probably work and is cheaper.
The trick is not to use the boom as a ginpole , but to make a 2 pole "tipi" (1 inch conduit) attached to the center chainplates (I used regular hinges from homedepot bolted to 1 inch conduit) clip this at the pointed end to the back stay, the other side of the point to your mainsheet and use a winch to pull or to release. It was surprisingly stable, unlike my boom ginpole attempts. I can get some pictures if someone wants them.
Peter

Please, pictures would be most appreciated.

Hmm,  I can't make out the little pictures on the article I found, and I can see it would be tough for a bigger mast, and I see the trouble one could get in!

Peter, you say:

"clip this at the pointed end to the back stay, the other side of the point to your mainsheet and use a winch to pull or to release"

So, the pointy end (!)  goes on the backstay (where exactly?!) And then a sheet to pointy end as well..and then pull?

I see many other methods use a pole/boom, etc to pivot the whole thing...but I like Peter's idea.  Peter, I think you stepped yours in both the water and on land? 

(superb mast step, Peter, I am very envious of your metal-making ability and tools!)

where the backstay splits just hook it on the poles, I'll take some pictures when I take it down to go sailing, hopefully next week. I have not done it on the water yet, but I don't expect any problems doing that either.
Overdid the steel for the maststep a little, oops, but it prevents any sidesway lol..
more later,
Peter

Aaahh, I figured one would attach it to the adjuster (as I have) or similar.

Yes, send pics for the visually challenged...

22 (edited by Michael Meyering 2014-02-16 16:26:17)