Topic: Hull Number / Identification Number

Is it possible to have an older Contessa 26 (1973 I think) with no hull number and no vehicle identification number?

rbunn@rlbunn.com

Richard Bunn

Re: Hull Number / Identification Number

Yes, many older boats were built without hull numbers. I am not sure when the requirement for unique hull numbers came into effect.

Beginning in 1973.  By 1974 it was international.

In Canada it wasnt until 1981 that it became law.  As far as I know, after 1974 anything that was being imported into the States had to have a hull number, so there's some 74's out there with no numbers but it seems that anything after 75ish has a hull number.  Best way to semi verify the year is by seeing where the sail number fits into the registry or getting a copy of the builder's certificate.....

How would one go about obtaining a "Builder's Certificate". I have been told my CO26 is a 1973, would like to confirm and verify hull number.

Try to track down the original owner, or whatever owner along the line is in possession of the paperwork.  I've got a 74 that could either be a 74 or a 73.  Judging by the sail numbers, I've pretty much let it go that I'll never know for sure, and I'm just going with 74.

Hello. I'm a former owner and currently "without boat". I used to own hull number 15 and the best build date I could determine was 1972.

There was a "15" stamped into the fibreglass below my trusty Vire engine. I think if you look really hard you will find hull numbers on every hull. But that's just my opinion with no facts to back me up.

I have never heard anyone call the vire trusty it was more finicity, I oringinaly had the BVR version in my boat and exchange it for a 1gm. there where no marking in or around the vire my sails are marked 46 but who knows

I still have the Vire in my '71.  I can think of many descriptive qualities for it. 'Dubious' may best fit for now.  I have gotten very good at removal and installation. Like the days of the old '71 VW bug. Yes, would be willing to exchange for 1GM. No hull #.

Regarding the Vire my description of the Vire was more "tongue in cheek". It's hard to be negative about something you used to love. In the 8 years I owned the boat I think the Vire only worked reliably for 1 season and was totally usless for 3-4 seasons. It did have its benefits though as I got very good at singlehanded sailing without an engine even in crowded marinas.

Hi there,
We have a JJ Taylor Contessa 26 in Ireland and we are having trouble getting out the cutlass bearing.
We are currently trying the treaded bar and nuts method with a pipe outside to draw the bearing into.  We are not having much luck.  I don't see a grub screw or anything else holding it in place but it does not want to budge and we dont want to damage the transom.  The stern gear is not exactly standard and among other things has a lot of filler around the cutlass bearing housing.  It looks like whoever did it last time had trouble too. I just don't want to make it any worse.  I would apreciate any tips,
PS the site is great - have learned lots already
Toni

We have acquired a 1975 Contessa 26 and are trying to decypher the HIN:  ZJT031431275.

We would appreciate any help we can get.

Judy

ZJT 03143 1275

A JJ Taylor (JZT) made Contessa 26 manufactured in December 1975 (1275) with a serial number of 03143, most likely displaying sail #143. Sound about right?

Adrian.

Thanks!  That's about what we had figured out, but we were not real sure about the manufacturer.

Judy

Welcome to the board -and the Contessa owners club (which I am not currently part of)!

How do I find out the hull number of my contessa?

I'm arriving at this thread a little late... My hull number starts with WMP. I'd assumed it was a Canadian built Contessa from 1974.