Topic: Selling price of co 26's, :) or :(

Hello all

While I have no intent(short term) to sell my co 26 I do like to keep an eye on the market. A kijiji search shows 1/2 a dozen boats 3000 - 12000$ several in the lower price range. A bit depressing or the opposite depending on your point of view, I guess. So what say you all, Do our boats have any practical monetary value from a selling stand point? There are plenty of people looking to sell it seems, are there people looking to buy?
When one considers that the cost of ownership for 2 to 3 seasons becomes equal to or higher than the selling price of an average older co26 it seems that the selling price becomes less important than eliminating the costs associated with the boat.
As I mentioned I am not in the market to move up in size but I do see a day coming where if the right co 32,  alberg 29 or albin ballad  were to come a long I might consider it. Problem being they don't come along all that often.
Conventional wisdom is to sell your current boat before buying the next one. Who wants the coat associated with storing/owning two boats in this used boat market. With that said I wonder sometimes if it might be better to buy, if the price was right, and fire sale the old boat. But is there anyone actually looking to get their hands on a co26?

Just curious on people's thoughts and experiences relative to the current boat market and our co 26's.

John

Re: Selling price of co 26's, :) or :(

All I can tell you is that I moved from a CO26 to an Alberg 29, and while it was a lovely boat, I since regret getting rid of the Contessa and might someday replace my Kittiwake 23 with one.

Adrian

For the type of sailing  I do, east Lake Ontario day and the odd overnight weekend sailing the co 26 fits just right.  I am thinking more long term, retirement plans. Given the cost of ownership I am in no hurry to move up, but one never knows what can come along. Both in boat deals and life in general.

John

CO26 is a good fit for a lot of different types of sailing. She's just not a very good fit for being a dock condo.

Like I said, I adore my Kittiwake, but I really moss my Co26. She was one of the later ones, and I've since lost track of where she's gone. The guy I sold her to sailed her from Toronto to Quebec City, but from there, I have no idea where she's gone.

Now that my 3 older kids are starting to head off to university, I think a Co26 would be perfect for me, my wife, and our 2 year old son. But then again, so is the Kittiwake 23!

Well with the boat market so wild these days, with most owners having traded their boats in on RVs, the key is really having
a safe versatile super little boat that goes anywhere and certainly does not cost an arm and leg for either dockage or storage.
Having wanted a Contessa 26 since JJTaylor showed them to me in '76 I went thru the normal progressive size stages up to
a 48ft ketch and now having had to wait for my Contessa 26 due to a not great marriage partner (I thought 33 years were enuf) and find the sloop to be just the perfect answer in retirement.
Prices seem to have little to do now days with real boat value - I'm rather pleased to say.