1 (edited by chromaticbum 2014-08-18 12:59:23)

Topic: rebed toe rail/sail track on JJ taylor

Hey everyone,

I am having a terrible time figuring out how to fit backing nuts underneath the genoa track and toe rails of my 1983 JJ Taylor. In the cabin there are fiberglass covers that prevent me from reaching inside the hull-deck fitting. I have no way to put backing nuts on that I know of. I do know that there were backing nuts on there already though because they fall off as I take the track out. I have attached an image of the fiberglass cover in the cabin. Any ideas are welcome. I have tried fitting a ratchet in there to no avail. Also worth noting, the genoa tracks were not on top of teak toe rails, they are directly on the deck hull joint, inline with the teak toe rails.

Thanks everyone!
Hollin

Post's attachments

IMG_20140818_115053.jpg 1.85 mb, 2 downloads since 2014-08-18 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: rebed toe rail/sail track on JJ taylor

John, thanks for the thoughts. If you can find the post your'e talking about, let me know. I've been looking for all the info I can on this and haven't found much useful.

I was considering blind rivets, which would probably work just fine. I installed my staysails track with them. I was also considering just using screws as they are spaced so close together they might hold just fine. I would appreciate advice from someone who has accomplished this feat. It seems like a large oversight of the builder to make the toe rail unservicable like this.

4 (edited by chromaticbum 2014-08-18 19:32:53)

After talking with Stefan D, who gas done this before, I am going to attempt using wedges to open the cover up and put backing nuts on bolts. Will let everyone knows how it goes.

hollin

I have small  leak on my boat, hull deck joint or genoa track? Not sure, probably deck/hull joint. Point being I will be interested in how things work out for you as I may have to re-bed my genoa track at some point. Never would have thought of wedges, a good idea.

John

I cut away the angled part of the cabin liner that makes it hard to access the nuts. 
I wanted the boat to be maintenance friendly. 
Planning on just making a cover plate to attach to the underside of the deck with short stubby screws that can be easily removed for maintenance.
I was also dreading the job of putting my genoa rails back on the boat because they are straight and the rail is curved.......its was a bit of fight when they were removed.  I decided to make some blocks out of oak that would hold the rails securely in the vise so they could be gently bent to the right curve without damaging the rails........making reassembly a lot easier.  Although I haven't actually bent the rails yet, I did clamp them in the vise with the blocks and can tell that its going to work good.  B

Post's attachments

bending genoa rails.JPG
bending genoa rails.JPG 116.96 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-09-11 

When reinstalling the genoa track rails, you'd be surprised how easy it is to bend as you go.  Start with one end, and just keep going along, one fastener at a time.  You'll need a helper for sure.

Here's, as Paul Harvey would say, the "rest of the story."
The clamping blocks pictured above worked like a champ.
In the photo, the rails have no fasteners installed yet and are just sitting there.
I imagine this making the installation a lot less of a wrestling match.

Post's attachments

bending the genoa rails.JPG
bending the genoa rails.JPG 147.98 kb, file has never been downloaded.