Topic: Mast Spreaders loose at base

Hello All,

On my boat, the spreaders seem to fit rather loosely in the sockets on the mast.

I'm not sure if this is the way it is supposed to be, or not?

As you can see from the photos, when the retaining bolt on each spreader is tightened that holds the spreader to the mounting plate, the socket distorts somewhat and the spreaders can rock fore and aft (five degrees or so each way). 

Are the spreaders supposed to fit snug in the mounting plates on the mast?  Or are they supposed to be a little loose and able to move fore and aft a little (perhaps so they would be able to move and absorb some loading fore and aft without placing a big strain on the spreader mounting plates.

Post's attachments

spreader base 2.JPG
spreader base 2.JPG 104.5 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Mast Spreaders loose at base

more photos

Post's attachments

spreader base1.JPG
spreader base1.JPG 117.92 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

3rd photo

I have never seen a rigid spreader and I've seen a lot. I suspect  they would snap if they were rigid. Don't forget that the stays hold everything in place.

I think they are meant to flex with the rig, meaning that rigid attachments might not be ideal.

The important element is that the base plates fit solidly on the mast, so keep an eye on the rivets & bolts.  Flex of the spreaders into that base plate allows for necessary movement of shrouds and should be ok.

I replaced all the rivets and the mounting plates are very solid now.
When I did this project, I happened onto "structural rivets" at the local Fastenal and realized that this is what the old rivets were that I was replacing.  They are much stronger than your basic pop rivets that they sell at the box stores.  Figured I'd mention this so others don't make the mistake I almost did of using standard pop rivets.

Be careful of galvanic action espec with stainless steel fittings, an aluminum mast and aluminum &/or stainless rivets. If  you're not careful, you'll get serious corrosion and breakages.

But there are plenty of members who are more knowledgeable than me on this highly technical subject...

Any good advice out there in vacuumland????

Use Duralac on *every* fastening going into an aluminium spar.   Use insulating gaskets under *every* stainless fitting  you have to remove or replace.

Its much better for the spreader and the socket to have some flexible packing between them as it reduces point loading, corrosion and fatigue.

My spreaders that have nearly identical sockets had badly degraded rubber liners in the sockets and rather more space to wobble than yours. I replaced them with collars cut from sanitation hose (which was the best match in thickness and resilience to the remains of the old liner) that was a press fit on the spreader end. I liberally smeared the spreader end with Duralac to prevent poultice corrosion before assembly.   It looks like your spreaders could benefit from some collars cut from bicycle inner tube as the gap you need to take up is quite a bit smaller.  *DONT* forget the Duralac!

Ian,

Thanks for the tips............big help! 

B