Topic: Contessa 26 ballast

The ballast is encapsulated lead in later model(1983 i believe they changed) JJT contessa's.  The earlier JJT boats had encapsulated iron ballast.

Re: Contessa 26 ballast

George, welcome aboard.  Do not forget to sent me some info on your new purchase for are contessa 26 list, year, #, boat name, harbor, state/prov, country.

By the way, how did you come about in finding your Contessa 26 (website, ads, etc), as I am in the hunt for a post 1983 Contessa 26 myself.

12 years ago I had a new contessa 26 with a 32 lay up schedule hull and deck.I finished up all the rigging and but never finished the interior and was forced to sell it.I missed it for years and then started looking for another one by looking on the internet and yachtworld ect and nothing.Then just by fluke I found one in my back yard about 125 kms away.It is a J.J taylor like my last one.The name is Virunga.It is fully equipped for off shore.I am very excited about it.I will get the hull numbers and get back to you.Do you know if Tania may be at the Vancouver boat show? Thanks George

It does not look like Tania Aebi will be at the Boat Show, as she did not show up on the speaker list on the boat show website.

Hi I went to the boat today and it is a  JJ Taylor 26  zjto 330 0685 named Virunga. It is an 1985 And My guess number 330 ? Is that right?It will be on the hard in Sidney on Vancouver island.

George I've seen Virunga. What happened to her rudder? You must have a story to share.

Not sure what happened to the rudder but I heard the windvane got stuck on the dock so maybe then the rudder got damage.I am pulling off the rudder for a rebuild,and refinishing the bottom.George

Hi I just purchased a Contessa 26 or a 1985 jj taylor and was wondering if the Ballast is lead and how it is fastened inside the keel.Some one told me it was concrete with steel punching?Thanks George