Topic: Love/hate relationship

Ok, hate is probably too strong a word but....

Virago and I spent a month together this summer.  She is the best boat for singlehanding I could ask for for all the reasons we CO sailors commonly share.  I love and trust my boat.  However, when I manage to crack my head on some overhead piece of said boat when down below I sometimes think that (I hate to say it) a different, slightly bigger boat might be a good idea.  Besides an A29, I can't think of anything I'd like as much or respect for performance, construction etc.  Temptation sometimes strikes mind you.  So here's the point of this posting:

Can anyone who has sold a Contessa to move up to a bigger boat, or moved up then come back down again to a smaller boat comment on the pros and cons of that decision?  I'm thinking Adrian might have something to say about this.

When I whack my head I want another boat, but when I'm sailing and I can go down below and not fall across the cabin, reach pretty well everything from a sitting position, and move around with at least one hand and/or foot braced and gripping I think the small interior of my boat is not a bad thing.  I think I'm also touching on the idea of boat when sailing vs. boat that at anchor or in a marina much of the time.  People who have made long passages in a CO can chime in on this too - Contessa as long-term home.

2 (edited by bertinol 2014-10-25 18:59:29)

Re: Love/hate relationship

I always wear a hat when going below... Then I can hit my head all I want and it doesn't bother me.

Seriously, bigger boats are bigger pains. They are harder to sail on your own, they are clumsier and every part costs more, from fuel to sails to blocks. Plus you need a  more expensive mooring.
You spend your life on the phone trying to find crew who are willing to come out with you.
No wonder people say: "The bigger the boat, the less you sail."

A Contessa is not the most exciting boat in the world, but it is a little jewel that goes everywhere and does everything well.

Small boats are the most fun to sail.I like the low freeboard for many reasons. The portlights are at eye height; love that in an anchorage.I sail away upwind away from the bigger cruisers often, which always amazes me.Loooks very nice and draws compliments.Thats always nice.Its a great little boat.A bigger boat gives you more payload and more room to party  I've sailed this boat and lived on it for about eight years.Mines comfortable but it's  tweaked with the addition of drawers and a wood stove that I'm cuddled up to right now, as well as many other changes. Seems pretty great to me.

4 (edited by Virago Deb 2014-10-30 15:43:15)

Ok, this is the THIRD and LAST time I'm going to try to address this topic.  Here's hoping I don't get booted off!  The readers digest condesed version is as follows:

Bertino, I've seen a classic case of exactly what you speak of - an avid, skillful, frequent sailor of a 24' boat bought a 33' and pretty well stopped sailing.

Bilgeret, do you actually live on your boat?  As in, that's your residence?  If so, very cool.

More philosophy:  I don't think I need any encouragement to keep my boat, rather I suspect I'd regret swapping up and would need more reasons to make the jump.  I'll re-frame the original question to see if that makes it clearer.  The question could be posed as "how does one manage in a large volume boat?"  How do you brace yourself across a cockpit 10 ft wide?  What keeps you from dragging your pencil across your chart when you slide off the navigator's seat?  How do you do anything on the high side of the cabin without a hiking trapeze?  Maybe the answer is that I haven't had the "luxury" of sailing on a bigger sailboat in nasty weather.  Maybe the trade for more comfort in the majority of conditions outweighs occasionally feeling like a pebble inside a barrel rolling down a hill.  Most of the bigger boats I know in these parts motor when the going gets tough, and that is no improvement most of the time.  Sailing WITH bigger boats is a good idea though for, as Bilgeret points out, they make a fine party platform.  Ok, here goes the "submit" button...

Afterthought:  Speaking of head whacks, did I mention I have a retired work helmet on V. for the day the barrel starts to roll?  At least it's a small diameter barrel!

Keep losing my posts. Yes this is my residence. I keep things simple. The wood  stove keeps life wonderful. To paraphrase Ray Jardine,"if I don't have it , I don't need it.