Topic: Custom Trailer for Contessa 26

I am seriously considering purchase of a new trailer for my Contessa to move her from Florida to Minnesota.

Triad Trailers LLC makes a galvanized trailer that is custom built for the Contessa 26 and seems to have all the right features for safe road travel ... at a price (approx $7,000 USD configured with electric disc brakes and torsion axles).  I have attached their quote sheet.

Have any of you had and experience with Triad Trailers LLC or, for that matter, any other quality road trailers suitable for the Contessa 26?

I am willing to pay for quality and, if I do buy a trailer, I want it to be the best available.

Any advice and recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

JJT Contessa 26 #320

Re: Custom Trailer for Contessa 26

Don't forget that you'll need a sizeable truck to pull a Contessa and trailer, a combination that will weigh something over three tons. A Ford 150 or U-Haul truck can manage that over short distances, but you are planning to go 2,000 miles. 
Something to think about.

Hi,
I am also on the market for a trailer. Planning to have one built. A few considérations I will not do without: drop axles, hydraulic brakes(no magnet etc to seize in salt water) , sealed bearings and extra extended draw bar to ease the boat down and up a slip.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

I'm in the same boat...er...trailer...um...anyway, I haven't bought a trailer yet so I can't speak from experience but I was told that surge brakes are best. 

what would be cool is if we had some sort of trailer share program.

Trailer share.  Hmmmmmm.  Say $500 to join the "trailer club" plus $250/day or $1000/week for a rental.  Member is responsible for providing a suitable truck, loading, unloading, positioning, insurance and damage.  Subscription fee is one-time for each owner (non-transferable to a future owner) with funds used to procure the new trailers.  The goal would be to have 2-4 safe & first-class trailers, strategically located, and well maintained (hence the rental fees). 

A scheme like this would work for me, even if the fees were somewhat higher.  Assuming this would actually work, a key step would be to arrange for a special rental rate for trucks.

It is really important to watch the numbers -- paying a trucker to 'deal with it' begins to make a lot of sense.

Any thoughts?

Perhaps we could approach a reputable builder about a group buy of several Contessa 26 trailers.

Any interest in that?  If so, I would volunteer to help coordinate the process.

JJT Contessa 26 #320

Well, The trailer question has been answered.

I did get bids from several reputable builders but after considering them I decided to build my own.

The result is everything I could want;
galvanized 5" x 3" rectangular tube frame
suspension on sliders for easy balancing of load for correct tongue weight
leaf springs with equalizer bar
two 10,000# 3" drop axles
6 lug hubs with 2" electric brakes
6 upright supports with adjustments for post angle and adjustable pads for height

It was a real learning process and the result is everything I had hoped for.

However, I really did not save any money.  There are several trailer builders who offer a quality trailer for a Contessa 26 at a fair price so, if I were to do it over again, I would probably have one built to my specification with articulating upright supports, etc.

JJT Contessa 26 #320

Got all the hardware to build a trailer and got it started today.
At this point I am concerned about proper balance as too little weight on the tongue could lift the rear of the truck and too much will bring it down. I would very much appreciate if you could indicate the approximate center of gravity (measurement from bow or stern) . I have arrows indicating where the slings should go to lift the boat but the halfway point between the two seem to be too far to the front especially because of the weight of the motor. I hesitate to weld the axles in place until i have info on this subject. Thank you.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

I share your concern over getting the balance and tongue weight right. 

That is why, instead of welding the spring seats directly onto the trailer frame, I welded them to lengths of of angle iron that are bolted to the trailer frame with large U bolts.

This allows me to slide the suspension fore and aft to adjust the balance point to achieve a tongue weight of 600 lbs.

It also allows for adjustment to accommodate changes in weight distribution from full/empty tanks, extra gear, the dinghy, etc.

I recommend that you use "sliders" for your suspension mounting.

Hope this helps.

JJT Contessa 26 #320