Topic: One more HIN question!

I am buying a Contessa 26 with a purported HIN of SNZJT033080885.  I don't think there is a hull identification number plate on the boat.  Looks like a boat built in August 1985, but the sail number is out of sync with other boats (according to the contessa registry, that sail number is from 1983. Any insight?  Is it an '83 or an '85 boat, and what does one do when there is no plate?

Much thanks!

2 (edited by bertinol 2016-03-12 16:37:59)

Re: One more HIN question!

To identify yr boat look at the hull number that is embedded in the fibreglass on the outside of the starboard quarter of the hull. This was embedded when the fibreglass was laid down.

Your hull number SN ZJT 03 308 0885 stands for:

SN - I don't know
ZJT is JJ Taylor Toronto, which built the Canadian boats from 1969 on using modified British molds
03 is the Contessa 26
308 is the sail number. That would fit the year it was laid up, which was
0885 - August 1985.

You have the latest model, with a lead keel, more headroom, opening windows, nicer lines and lots of detail improvements.

It's a fine boat

just curious what you are referring to by "nicer lines"?

Hello Stefan:
The later Contessas were very similar to the first ones, but I have always thought the later ones looked a little more polished, a little cleaner, a little more finished. They did have significant improvements, including a lower floor, opening windows, a chain locker and a lead keel. The ones I have sailed feel a little different from my 1975 Contessa but it's hard to quantify the difference.  All Contessas are nice to sail, I guess!