1 (edited by Virago Deb 2016-09-20 16:39:56)

Topic: Contessa sailor rescued of Newfoundland

A fellow Contessa 26 sailor who left from the Canadian Great Lakes was rescued a couple of weeks ago 180 miles south of St. John's, NFLD.  He left from the same harbour where I keep Virago on Georgian Bay at the first of July and had made it that far.  He was hoping to spend the winter in Spain.  There is a video of the rescue, made by the search and rescue helicopter crew, posted on the CBC website but I don't know how to create a link to it.  According to the report, the waves were running high - reported 4 to 6 meters - and the boat was taking on water.  In the video you can see that his roller furling had backed off and the genoa is in tatters.  The main is not visible so don't know what's up with it.  The vessel was still floating and apparently sound when the recue happened.  Somewhere someone may find a mid-70's Co.26 in need of a little sprucing up.  The rescued sailor is reported to have been unharmed and has been released from hospital.  I know the gentleman and he is, I'm estimating, early 60s in age.

Re: Contessa sailor rescued of Newfoundland

Do you have any idea as to why his vessel began to take on water? I'd be curious to know.

No, I haven't spoken to him since he got back.  I don't know that he's been to the harbour since his return.  If I hear anything I'll post it.