Topic: Hull-Deck joint

I've chamfered all the screw holes for the toerail cap, grinding out the crazing caused by the holes not being chamfered in the first place, and filled with a mixture of West and Colloidal Silica filler (to get the putty consistency that I want).  After looking close at the joint, and digging all of the old dried up putty out, my plan as of today is to rough up the space between the joint, dig any delaminated glass and gelcoat off (or out of) the downturned edge of the deck, and squeez some more of my goop.  If any big chunks of the deck edge come off, I'll re-glass in some new peices of cloth but it doesn't look as though that will be necessary.  After filling the 'gap' with my mix then I'll never have to worry about the hull deck joint leaking as long as I own the boat.  (I dont think it leaked in the first place).  Maybe run a bead of Sikaflex just for overkill, and then I'm done.  Now all I need are smaller hands to get ebtween the hull and liner to pull the genny car track off.........

Re: Hull-Deck joint

I'm assuming that "West" means West System epoxy.  Making a putty of epoxy and colloidal silica results in a fairly low strength bond. The #404 high strength filler may be a better choice.

What sort of hull-deck joint was used in constuction?

It's a vertical flange, with the downward turning deck lip on the outside.  Unfortunately it's riveted.  Then they caked some putty in there and thats it.  Nothing special, I'd rather see an inward facing flange, thru bolted.  Can't have it all but with my glasswork it's stronger and probably 99.98% watertite now...

on my 1974 JR boat the hull-deck joint appears to be a inward facing horizontal flange.  It is bonded with putty and mechanically with bow cleat thrubots.  The bulwarks are part of the hull.

there is also a thru bolt and glassed-in 1' x 1' backing pad amidships.  i'm guess this is a tab from deck piece that is mechanically fastened and bonded to the hull piece.

sounds bit more robust......  guess the jjt's are just what they are - mass produced boats with era technology....

And then doesn't the toe rail complicate things?

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Ooops, I read your post Stefan....did you take any pictures of it?  I do not want to take off toerail as I have no problems now, but always want to know what's underneath, from the top...I can see what it looks like from underneath, and yes, the rivets are a bit dissapointing.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

didnt take any closeups.  now that the boat is ready to go, guess i can't... just kiddin ive got lots of work left to do and i'll take a few snaps of the joint from inside and out and post em up....  cheers all

Yes, please take more pics...I have a "Stefan D" folder with your pictures in order....a very amazing project!!  I want to see how you glassed in bulkheads...as well as what stage you were at...I guess I really want to ensure you got out of that cockpit locker in one piece!  THAT is a good picture! ;-)

no bulkheads in yet.... still an open concept 26.....  hopefully see the water sometime mid-late summer this year.  hard to stay motivated esp in this weather....

Has anybody tried to glas the hull/deck joint to prevent leaks there? I am in a glassing mode to repair holes in the cabin top and thought I could do this one while I am at it...