Topic: Repower my 86 Contessa

The diesel on my boat has died. I need to repower. I don't think that I can afford a new inboard diesel, so, any opinions or options would be appreciated. Electric (inboard or out) or put an outboard on the back?

2 (edited by Vince P 2017-11-20 07:09:20)

Re: Repower my 86 Contessa

What is the nature of the problem and have you looked into a repair? 
If un-repairable, used inboards can be had inexpensively sometimes if you keep your eyes open.  They are not very difficult to install. 
An outboard installed on a transom mount might be less desirable if you sail in bluewater.

Hmmm... what is your budget?

I have a personal dislike for outboard engines, particularly on our boats as you just don't get the shaft long enough to get down into the water when you're in heavy waves (often when you need the engine the most is in bad weather or choppy waves entering a harbour)

You can get new replacement Farymann's from the USA, as well as other similar engines here for not a huge amount.  (Maybe check Entec West as they might have used ones from their generators?)

If you're hardcore, there are boats like Bika where they removed the engine entirely.  I wonder if their blog is still online?  You can reach out to them to see how they did it.

I would avoid doing an electric motor in our boats as the weight for the batteries will be much greater than the engine that it replaces.... unless you go lithium, but that will be far more expensive than a new tiny diesel.