Topic: What size mainsail?

I have found two sets of measurements online.  My '74 Co 26 has a 31.25' mast and 11' boom.
Thanks

Re: What size mainsail?

recommended mainsail mainsheet spec and supplier and mainsail block and tackle?

The English Contessa has a boom that is longer and a mast that is shorter than the Canadian Contessa.

thanks seeadler.  I seem to have a longer mast and longer boom...

Michael

I had a new mainsail made up a couple of years ago. If you like I can pull it out of storage and measure up the sail. My boat is Canadian made, don't know mast length but the boom is sitting in a spare bedroom so  I could measure it up for comparison purposes.

John

6 (edited by Michael Meyering 2014-02-14 23:50:44)

Yes-  Thanks John-  if convenient for you.   My mast is down, so I can just take measurements I guess-  new to this.

Michael

I haven't forgotten about you, just got busy in the last couple of days. I'll measure up the mainsail by the weekend and post the results.

John

Michael,

My mainsail specs are:  Luff; 27' 6"    Foot; 9' 8"   Leech; 28' 3"  with several batons. 

B

9 (edited by Michael Meyering 2014-02-20 03:54:27)

Thanks again B. Thanks John.

Thanks bertinol.  Looks like they give specs for the smaller English rig.

Michael,

My mainsail specs are:  Luff; 27'     Foot; 9' 8"   Leech; 28' 6" 
(give or take an inch either way on all dimensions)

John

Most of our mains have bolt-ropes and allow for considerable stretch, particularly along their luffs.  For sail shopping I would recommend using the IJPE sail dimensions for the Contessa.  In particular P (luff) = 28 feet and E (foot) = 10 feet.  Sails may appear to be smaller until they are bent to the boat. 

That said, when shopping for substitute sails, keep in mind that the booms are long and there is some latitude for a longer (or shorter) foot.  Beware of sails that have a large roach -- there is not a lot of backstay clearance.

Good hunting!

Christopher

Good stuff.  Thanks John and Christopher

Does anyone know how far below the mast boom slot the main can go?  I am looking at a main w/2 29.5' luff which would take it to about 5" below the mast boom opening (I don't know the term).  Thanks.  Foot is 9.25'

Do not forget about the dodger if you have one. My boom is close to mine. I do not see any other problem with lowering the boom down the track. Mine is held down with a pin that goes across the track. There are several holes to choose from.

Where are you located?  I would strongly suggest you get your sailmaker to come measure.
I purchased a North Sail main a few years ago and they came out, took the proper measurements and made the sail to fit properly.  I strongly suggest you have that done than try to get an ill fitting sail.

If your luff is 29.5', I would strongly suggest this would not fit on your boat... our masts are spec'd at 31', with a spec luff of 28'... 29.5' would mean you could never raise your sail.

Regards,
Jordan.

specs for the JJ Taylor made Contessa are listed under "Taylor 26"  on sailboatdata.com