Topic: Ground Tackle Recommendations?

I will be sailing my Contessa 26 in the Great Lakes for my first time next year so I am interested in hearing what others are using for their anchoring systems.

I have been planning to use a combination of 3-strand rope and chain but would consider an all-chain set up if I install a manual windlass to lift it. 

My questions are:

What sizes of rope and chain do you use?

Do you use all-chain or a combination of chain and rope?

What size and type of anchor do you use?

Thanks

JJT Contessa 26 #320

Re: Ground Tackle Recommendations?

I have a 25 lbs plow, 25 ft of chain and 200 ft of line. Never failed me. Could not really fit any more in the chain locker. The weight of an all chain setup may be a concern.

Good to hear the 25 b. plow works well. 
I still have my 25 lb. CQR and some aluminum Fortress Danforth-type anchors that work well in sand so I should be covered.
Thanks

JJT Contessa 26 #320

Hi Dave,
It depends on where you will be anchoring I suppose.
Lake Ontario with few things to hit and few hard bottoms vs Northern Georgian Bay with lots of rock?

Mine has a nice shiny Bruce anchor up front... never used in vain.
When we did our big trip around Georgian Bay, Lake Huron, Lake Erie and back home, the galvanized Danforth anchor was all we used.  I have 40' of chain followed by 200' of 3strand rode.  I haven't had to anchor in deep water or in unprotected water so... it is more than sufficient.

Both Bruce and Danforth anchors came with my boat.  If I were to replace them, I'd buy a new generation anchor. Rocna, Manson or Mantus without hesitation.

Virago has the 25 lb plow she came with on the bow, a 30 lb Bruce in a locker, a 20 lb folding grapnel in the bilge and a sea anchor/drogue on board. Bow anchor has 30 ft chain and about 155 ft nylon braid rode and has never failed me.  Bruce had been used on another boat with good results.  I keep chain and rope rode ready for the Bruce or grapnel and a third nylon rode for the drogue.  The grapnel is for hooking onto rocks or round cobbles on the upper Great Lakes in case of an emergency with no anchorage handy.  I have as many ways to stop my boat as make it go.  Having more that one anchor is important for several reasons, though I may be a bit overboard on that!

6 (edited by Virago Deb 2019-04-07 11:45:13)

oops posted it twice....

Deb,  Thanks for that explanation.  I plan to go a bit overboard myself.
Regards

JJT Contessa 26 #320