Topic: main sheet traveller modification

Hi, I am looking at this boat and it has this traveler modification. I would be using the boat for sailing in the North East out of NJ with the hopes of going very far north. Does this setup look robust enough? How different is this from the original rigging? I have seen the rear pulpit stainless bend before in a knockdown and I am afraid it could wipe out this setup. Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks

Post's attachments

Contessa 26 traveller mod.JPG
Contessa 26 traveller mod.JPG 91.26 kb, 3 downloads since 2020-10-22 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: main sheet traveller modification

That has been modified.  The original is a three point mainsheet... plenty of photos on this site, but if you want to see in person, I am in South Jersey.

Re: main sheet traveller modification

I have a similar design traveler on my Contessa although, it appears to be a few inches aft of where yours sits.  I survived a storm that was easily 45-55knots in lake Erie an 15' waves.  The original traveler was an aluminum pin-stop traveler and it pulled the aluminum pins right through the track.... The Track, pins and car were garbage after that event, but the design of the traveler was/is solid to this day.
I replaced it with an identical traveler system like you have... I would expect it to be better suited to the task.

Of course, I can't speak for a knock-down.  All bets are off if you are hit that hard.  But for wind and waves exceeding 50+ knots, you should be fine.

Make sure you have appropriate backing plates under the stainless legs and that the metal, itself, is strong enough for the task.

J.