Topic: Price for a '85 JJT

Thinking about, repeat ONLY THINKING ABOUT selling my '85 JJT with inboard diesel.  Newly married to man in Scotland so heading across the pond.  May sail boat over and use it there, or sail on his boat full time, or buy a single-hander over there for me to use.  The reason this is in the "wanted" section is that I want to know what these are selling for.  Anybody bought a similar boat lately, or sold one, or know someone who has?  Mine is hull no. 326 and was on the shop floor along side the lately lost Varuna.

2 (edited by scott 2018-04-05 04:58:50)

Re: Price for a '85 JJT

Hi There,

I own 1984 CO 26 hull# 316 "Dharma Rose" (Varuna was hull #324 from I have read).  Mine is one of the few CO26s with the Contessa logo that was after the transition to lead ballast and improved cockpit, anchor locker, etc.

From what I can tell, 1984 and after... (lead ballast) boats are selling for about $15K to $25K depending on condition and if they come with trailer.  A newer Yanmar or better yet, Beta 14, gets you to the top of the sale list along with asking price. Trailers are amazing tools for these boats too.  My trailer has saved me tons of money by avoiding winter yard storage and labor rates.

I am currently restoring Dharma, and subsequently taking a year off to do it as I have a young 7 month old son at home.  I have already purchased the Beta engine, and Monitor wind vane system (target to re-splash is spring 2019 to get the boat ready to sail to Bermuda in the Fall of 2019).

If you are looking to sell, let me know.  I may be interested depending on the condition of the boat.

Hope that info helps...
Scott Abbott
cell: 434-531-2572

Post's attachments

Dharma Rose - 1984 JJ Taylor 26 - 2-7-18 email.jpg
Dharma Rose - 1984 JJ Taylor 26 - 2-7-18 email.jpg 53.25 kb, 10 downloads since 2018-04-05 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

3 (edited by Virago Deb 2018-04-05 11:19:34)

Thanks for the information Scott.  I saw your boat years ago when it sailed into my local marina on Georgian Bay and it's one of the reasons I have a Co. now.  Virago was owned all its life by the same couple until they got too old for it and I bought it.  The net result is that it is in really good shape despite its age because it was used quite lightly.  Specifically, the engine is the original Bukh but it runs perfectly, though if these boats were repowered it was likely to get more HP.  It's funny how some owners repower and others de-power as in ditch the diesel altogether.  I, too, was thinking of having my steel cradle turned into a trailer but as I may be leaving the boat, or leaving WITH the boat, the trailer may not be worth me spending the money.   Virago is the evolution with the anchor locker, opening ports etc.  I'm curious to know why would you seek another JJT if you already have one?  Was Dharma Rose "rode hard and put away wet"?

4 (edited by Virago Deb 2018-04-05 11:16:28)

Thanks for the information Scott.  I saw your boat years ago when it sailed into my local marina on Georgian Bay and it's one of the reasons I have a Co. now.  Virago was owned all its life by the same couple until they got too old for it and I bought it.  The net result is that it is in really good shape despite its age because it was used quite lightly.  Specifically, the engine is the original Bukh but it runs perfectly, though if these boats were repowered it was likely to get more HP.  It's funny how some owners repower and others de-power as in ditch the diesel altogether.  I, too, was thinking of having my steel cradle turned into a trailer but as I may be leaving the boat, or leaving WITH the boat, the trailer may not be worth me spending the money.   I'm curious to know why would you seek another JJT if you already have one?  Was Dharma Rose "rode hard and put away wet"?

Hi Virago Deb,
I realize this is a long shot, however, Covid 19 has brought a number of things to a standstill in this world.  I am very interested in purchasing a Contessa 26 this year, and would be pleased to hear that yours is for sale.  If so, I would appreciate a call or text to bobattwo AT gmail dot com, or a call/text to eightZeroTwoFiveZeroFiveThreeNineNineSix. 
Thank you so much,
Bob in VT

Hi everyone.  Sorry, no, Virago is not for sale.  Or happily, no, Virago is not for sale.  The UK government and Covid killed my marriage to the Scotsman so I am still here, still sailing on the Great Lakes.  As you will see elsewhere, I tried a bigger boat on for size but just can't let go of Virago so I'm selling the bigger boat, a Douglas 31.  If someone is looking for a family size Contessa, the Douglas 31 would be a good choice.