Topic: Sailing Backward

It can be done when the wind direction is roughly parallel to the slip but angled toward the slip edge.  It’s essentially “heaving to”. After a double shot of grog for all hands, you crank the boat into the wind, come dead in the water, point the rudder towards the slip, and have the sheet tenders back the jib and fiddle with the main.   The problem is in gaining steerage astern.  This can be tough with a long keel. The tactic works better with a fin keel boat that gains steerage more easily.   A crew of three is ideal although it can be done with two.  One on the main sheet (or grabbing the boom in light air), one on the jib sheet, one at the helm.  Keep in mind that this is a last ditch maneuver that will terrify your insurance broker.

Re: Sailing Backward

A Folkboat or a Contessa can be sailed backwards with a backed main, steering it while facing the stern, just as you do on a dinghy. I have seen Folkboats being parked that way in Sweden and Denmark, but I never tried it on my Contessa. However, this can be a useful technique if you anchor with your stern against a big rock or cliff when backing the main to come close to the wall and attach your lines to shore will help.
Practicing out in open water is highly recommendable.

Re: Sailing Backward

I read in an article about the folkboat once that a crew of seasoned boat handlers were observed sailing a folkboat backwards into a slip.
I have been trying to imagine but having trouble seeing how that could be done.  Any body care to enlighten me?