Topic: Alternators

All the literature I have on my 10 HP one-lung Bukh indicates that these Danish engines do have alternators and that they are located directly behind the huge flywheel. In my mind this is certainly a weird and inconvenient place for an alternator.  Although I have never had the flywheel off my motor and actually seen the alternator with my own eyes, my Bukh parts book shows that it is there.

Re: Alternators

Mark Smith wrote:

All the literature I have on my 10 HP one-lung Bukh indicates that these Danish engines do have alternators and that they are located directly behind the huge flywheel. In my mind this is certainly a weird and inconvenient place for an alternator.  Although I have never had the flywheel off my motor and actually seen the alternator with my own eyes, my Bukh parts book shows that it is there.

I am fairly certain an alternator is not preset on my engine. Quite possibly it was removed by a previous owner due to malfunction. I would like to add one, as charging would be a nice feature. Any chance you can post the literature?

I'll have to go down to the boat and check again, though I am unhopeful there will be any alternator.

a.

Re: Alternators

By now you should have a PDF drawing of it in your e-mail.  Let me know if I can help you further.

Re: Alternators

Thank you mark! I'll get down to the boat and check this out.

Mark Smith wrote:

By now you should have a PDF drawing of it in your e-mail.  Let me know if I can help you further.

Re: Alternators

Hi Adrian;

I too have an aftermarket alternator...and can send you specs and literature of mine.  It's great - and I can turn mine on and off - but it only works when engine is in gear, as it runs off the prop shaft by a belt.
It's a 25 amp, and does just fine on my two batteries.
There is a small regulator as well.

Re: Alternators

Shannon RHIANNON Co26 318 wrote:

Hi Adrian;

I too have an aftermarket alternator...and can send you specs and literature of mine.  It's great - and I can turn mine on and off - but it only works when engine is in gear, as it runs off the prop shaft by a belt.
It's a 25 amp, and does just fine on my two batteries.
There is a small regulator as well.

Sorry for the delay, I've been sailing. smile

I've discovered that I do indeed have a working alternator, so I'm good with that.

As for dual batteries, where are they installed? I currently just have one large delco under the cabin sole. I think there's room for two smaller gel-type batteries in there and will be looking at that more when I get back down to the boat.

Re: Alternators

Hey Adrian;
I have two "normal" size 24 batteries below my sole in the "battery area"of the bilge, just forward of companionway steps.  I like them there weight-wise, but have tied them down and will also put a plastic sheet? or cover or lid of some type over them to prevent them from getting soaked in a pooping or water in bilge sloshing over them. (I leave comp.way slats in always, but ya never know!
When you have two in bilge, one is only about 25% accessible, as it sits farther forward than other one.  Can take pics if you like!

Re: Alternators

It all worked out Shannon.

I've got a pair of fairly large deep cycle batteries down there now. As you said, the forward one is only partially accessible, but it's not that hard to pull the one out if I need to.

Adrian.



Shannon RHIANNON Co26 318 wrote:

Hey Adrian;
I have two "normal" size 24 batteries below my sole in the "battery area"of the bilge, just forward of companionway steps.  I like them there weight-wise, but have tied them down and will also put a plastic sheet? or cover or lid of some type over them to prevent them from getting soaked in a pooping or water in bilge sloshing over them. (I leave comp.way slats in always, but ya never know!
When you have two in bilge, one is only about 25% accessible, as it sits farther forward than other one.  Can take pics if you like!

Re: Alternators

I have a 1984 CO26 (#322) still in possession of it's original Buhk "big red monster." The engine runs flawlessly, but conspicious in its absense is an alternator.

Anyone know where I can get an alternator mounting bracket to facilitation intalltion of an aftermarket alternator?

a.

Re: Alternators

My 1986 has a 10hp Buhk with three wires coming out from behind the flywheel and attaching to a terminal located on the side of the cylinder block. The surveyor could not find an alternator. He didn't know what to look for!! I t does indeed have one. My boat was sailed from a slip in the Chesapeak using only shorepower to keep the lead juiced. The previous owner probaly couldn't find the alt. either. I will be hanging from a mooring so I will dispense with the shorepower and need to get my alt. or some alt. up and running. Will mine work? I dunno. I am under some understanding, or perhaps misunderstanding, that when a alternator is spinning without an attached regualtor and battery, it some how cooks the little bits in the alternator. Does anyone know?? An aftermarket alt. will not possibly fit in the usual spots but may fit so it can run of the prop staft. I would like to know more about this option.

Re: Alternators

The three wires coming out from behind the flywheel are connected to the integral 5amp generator (alternator?).