Topic: Rebuilding, Restoring, Adding To, or Upgrading Your "Classic"?

There isn't a small cruising boat designed that will meet everybody's definition of perfection. Every boat is a compromise and, over time, just about every owner will contemplate making changes, or adding some gear, or, in the case of the older boat, rebuilding, restoring, or "up-grading". Although boat yards specialize in this type of work, much, if not all, can be done by a knowledgeable owner with some well developed basic skills. There are, however, some "horror stories" that illustrate what can result when owners lack the knowledge and skills necessary to do the job well. Fortunately nothing is a total loss and from these stories come six basic rules that may be of some value to someone contemplating activities that will make their boat more to their liking.

Read the full article

Re: Rebuilding, Restoring, Adding To, or Upgrading Your "Classic"?

Although not specifically Contessa 26 related, I would definitely not recommend this "inboard-i-zation" be adapted to a Contessa 26.  Or any other vessel for that matter.  It follows along the lines of Merril's article, and I just don't know where else to put it!

http://forums.iboats.com/honda-tohatsu- … 98656.html

Re: Rebuilding, Restoring, Adding To, or Upgrading Your "Classic"?

I recently inquired CO26, hull number 348, one of the last ones produced by JJT. It has taken me at least one year to decide what boat to buy. I have seen 5 CO 26-s within the last two months in Ontario. I intend to change her name so I will put her to the registry later. I keep the boat on trailer in Milton, close to the wooden boat shop I am involved with- access to some tools, help and some boat"wisdom"of my more experienced fellow boaters. Although the boat is in good shape (good survey) - I plan to renovate some woodwork  (companionway is bad, so is the floor, and tiller), electrical is to be addressed (shore power, connectors etc) and clean, polish the whole boat. I did not sail the boat so I am ready for some surprises later on - good and bad.  I have lots of questions for those who went through these renos. I would love to meet some of you and chat... The Boat Show is coming soon. If anybody plans to go, let me know. I live in Mississauga, I intend to put my CO in some club close by (EYC, OYS etc). So, I see you later!