Topic: Boat on a Train: A Novel by Shannon Rae (heh heh)

Ok, well,  I may as well start the story from the post this all started from, the big long "Guess What"  one, yes, that one, with lots of exclamation marks, like this:  !!!!!!!!!!

So, my "new" Contessa 26 was purchased in Montreal, approximately December 14th, and I have arranged to have her shipped by train.

The cost to do so was very cheap, as we all know how prohibitive the cost of trucking a boat across the country can be.  So, when I was told it was only $1,500 Can, I was thrilled.  The catch is, the boat must be on a trailer, which mine has. 

Therefore, a trailer is a good investment if you ever think you will ship or move your boat long distances across land.

The train ride should only take about three weeks, and leaves every Friday from Montreal.  However, the terrible weather we have had in this country the past  months has all but stopped many train shipments, and a boat is definitely at the bottom of the list when the schedules start to get back in order. 

Having said that, she was all ready to go on the train last Friday when it was discovered her papers were not back from the Toronto office of the ship's license office.....ok....right....here is the next chapter:

Yes, she WAS a registered vessel, and even though it had expired in 2004, I was assured by Regsitry of Ships there is no trouble to re-instate an expired registered vessel. 
However.....the boat broker thought he would "simplify things" and have her changed to a licensed vessel and "get rid of that blue book" .....I would laugh out loud if it wasn't so sad!!!  Having said that......I again checked with Registry of Ships here in Vancouver, and the kind fellow there said no problem , we just go through the paperwork again...and then also change her name and port at the same time! 
So, having said all of that, I am just waiting for paperwork to come from the Toronto office, back to the broker in Montreal, who has been amazing by the way, and then the boat and her papers are on their way to me!!! 

There are many more exciting stories and planned adventures with the boat,....and I will share them once she is on the train and heading my way, hopefully in another week or two!

Lastly...her name will be Artemisia......named after both the Goddess Artemis and Artemisia: a powerful ruler as well as a rare woman who led ships into battle in Ancient Greece.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Re: Boat on a Train: A Novel by Shannon Rae (heh heh)

I love the name, it is the name of one of my story characters, but shorten to Sage, as in plant called sagebrush, whose latin name is Artemisia!  Also the wife of Mausolus (ancient ruler of Caria), Artemisia built a mausoleum on his death in 353BC, which became one of the seven wonders of the world.  So you do have a very honourable name for your boat:-)  Good luck on her travels westward. ~jklee

Great name Shannon, I happen to live on Sage street which I will call Artemisia Street from now on.

Thank you guys!  I have read many stories on Artemisia...powerful woman, plant, myth, etc.  and feel the name is apt for the boat...

So, the latest chapter in the story is:
Artemisia's papers have now arrived back with the boat broker, so she is now a "simple girl", just a licensed vessel...which I will rectify the moment she arrives, and will have no problem doing re-registering her, as the kind  fellows at Registry of Shipping have informed me.
However........now there is a Train Strike!!!  It is as if I am destined to wait patiently for a looooooong time for her......kind of like being outside a harbour in a calm with a dead engine....and an ebbing tide?!  Heh heh......I know she will come soon....but of course when the trains get back to work, there will be a backlog of shipments.....so she will have to wait patiently again...Patience is good!!!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Hi Shannon,  Look up the definition of Virago (not the harsh, shrewish woman!) and you'll find that Artemisia was a virago.

Great name!  When I bought Lua, I had to have her shipped from Virginia to Ohio and had to endure the same, a long wait.  But take heart, it all works out and if your weather has been like the weather here in Ohio there's not a whole lot that can be done anyways.  Can't wait to see more pictures.  By the way, Lua is a '76 and so is Odessey which also sails out of Lorain, OH.  Good luck.

I'm shopping for new (to me) boat and I'm considering a couple of Contessas in Nova Scotia.  I live in Ontario so I'd have to transport it somehow.  Would you mind sharing the name of your transport company?  Just trying to get a handle on costs and what's all involved.  Any other recommendations would be appreciated too!  Tks. Suzeh.

It's always something, isn't it Shannon. It'll come out in the wash, you'll see.

10 (edited by Shannon 2007-03-29 14:31:47)

Adrian, you are so right!!!! 

INFO for those of you wanting to ship your boat: well, I just phoned Searail in Montreal, and they said the broker came with the boat but it is TOO BIG for them to ship!! Oh my, I laughed out loud....Searail said a guy from CN Rail came and also confirmed, yes, the boat was too big to ship on a train.

So, I just spoke to broker's office, and they said he is aware the boat is too big for train, and is madly working on a way to get it to me.  Broker is out of town but back on Monday and he and I will have to figure something out!

Why can I see myself driving a honking big truck with my boat following behind it?!   heh heh....

And....Marc in Montreal is awesome...he drove by the broker's yard and took a few pictures and I can see her in the yard, all wrapped and ready to go!    Marc.........THANK YOU.....All of you have been so awesome....thank you....(Adrian may post a picture of it if not too large)

So, I get a bit riled and suddenly good things start to happen, that is what I have learned, ;-)  And no, we are never practical when it comes to our boats, as Allen Farrell, the BC Boatbuilder and painter said about sailing: "you are either bored or terrified"....I agree, and that goes for anything even remotely related to boats too!!

Just wondering if anyone heard from Shannon.  Her silence is a bit long.  jklee

Haven't heard a thing John.

Oh my god everyone, I am SO sorry I have not written!!!  LIfe has been zipping by, and it's ALL GOOD!!!

Ok, let's start at: THE BOAT!!!  SHE ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!  Yes, just a couple of weeks ago, and I have literally been getting her set up on the hard at the boat yard, and built a slip-tube shelter over her.

She ended up NOT coming on the train, as she was "too tall", even after the boat broker was told she was ok, and I had paid him for the train shipping.  Poor broker Brian of Westisland Marine in Montreal took her down twice to try and ship her, no go!  So, finally, I engaged the services of David Law at Canam Marine...and David and his crew were AWESOME.  They shipped her quickly and professionally and had her at the boat yard with me not even requried to hover over everyone making sure it got done!     I made the truck driver laugh so hard as I was all excited when he told me the boat was coming the next day, and I cheered "YAY", and he laughed for about 10 minutes as he said no one was ever as excited as I was....guess my patience turned to sheer jumping up and down when I realized I really was getting my boat!!!

The day she arrived, I was literally moving from my old home (and old life) to a NEW home and....have met someone who is so into sailing and things that I am, and he's curious and smart like me too, (nothing like tooting my own horn, ey?! Hah hah!) so it has been a whirlwind, as we are so excited about getting her ready for sailing...we have been drawing up "to do" lists and "to buy" lists, although the former is the main one as the wallet is tight after paying $3,900 shipping cost....although I DID get the $1,500 I had paid for train travel refunded from broker Brian...that was a hugely exciting surprise! ;-)

SO.......we have just set her up and stood and assessed her: the first thing we did was take off the two dorade vents on deck....um....they were simply bolted on, right through the deck, no epoxy filler of the holes, no backing washers nor...any sort of...anything to prevent....wet core or stress cracks!!!  Um, same with the dodger frame tracks...(but no dodger)...simply bolted through the deck.....However, they look all look like rather new additions, so...it appears that the wetness has dried and we will assess stress cracks and ask you all what your thoughts are....so that will be our next thread: Deck Cracks!!!

Thank you ALL for being so supportive and helpful and always there......I apologize for the delay in writing and the time will not lapse like that again (um, one "To Do" item was..."e-mail Co26 Forum"...heh heh...oops.....now that I am literally settled into my new home.. it is time to give oneself to the boat chores to get her ready for the summer!!!  Oh...has summer started yet?! Rainy and cold here! 

I will send pictures to Adrian tonight, darn, just realized they are on my computer at home, and camera as well, yes, at home too!

Talk to you all soon!!!

Oh by the way, the same week my boat came out, so did "Sandy's Beach"!!!  It is about four boats from us on the hard!!  Am trying to find out who owns her, but have not seen anyone around her yet.  Small world, ey?!

Anyone know the story on that one....John Lee?!  ;-)

Hi Shannon,

Glad to hear everything has worked out for you. It is great to have you back. I am sure everything will work out. Look forward to hearing of your plans for renewal on your new boat !
( and the pics too )
All the best !

Jim

sandy's beach was a resto job done by a lady here in ottawa - based out of nepean sailing club  a few years ago.  there used to be the story at sailquest.com but i see that it's gone now.......

Welcome back Shannon!  Glad to hear that things worked out in the end.

Hey Stefan!  What's the skinny with your project?  Does it float?  Have you gone a couple of rounds with it in the river?  I'd be interested to see some updated pics.  Updates please!!  Haven't heard from you for a while.  Welcome back  as well.

José

well this spring i worked on the decks, injected about a half-gallon of west system into the coachroof....  filled about a hundred 1/8" holes......    i'm working right now on painting the hull( finally) , and i've just sprayed a test section about 10 feet long on the port side in primer, and the results are very promising.  just bought a house too, so it's been busy (you'd think i get the boat done before ANYTHING else)  i'll get some pictures up one of these days..... cheers all!

It's good to hear from you Shannon. Congratulations on your boat, and on your new relationship too! I look forward to pictures of your new ship.

Stefan....sounds like we have a similar project...some people figure they can just basically rivet stuff through the deck and that will be a good thing?! NOT, hah hah....and then the picky ones like us are left fixing it all! ;-)

I have sent a blurb with pics to Adrian so he may post the pics and blurb here...as he's the expert, I don't want a 6' wide pic on screen which seems to happen if I upload....hah!!!

Thanks you guys....I am going to take a million more pics: the shelter is up and all crap, er...stuff is off her decks...and Francis (new guy) and I are making our lists...work starts in earnest when he arrives here (Vancouver) in mid-July (he's American)...I will do all the assessing and cleaning and should I leave the head hoses to him?! Why not?!  Heh heh...

Will update in a day or so!!
(Thanks for uploading pics Adrian!!)

Now there's an option I hadn't considered.  Good tip.  I had no luck whatsoever with the Searail folks.  They just said no, no and no to every question I asked them.  And trucking was pretty costly.  Unfortunately the boat out East didn't work out for me.  But if, um I mean WHEN my boat finds me, if it happens to be on the East coast, I'll be checking out the ferry for sure.  In the meantime I'll have to be content with reading the "for sale" ads and crewing wherever I can.
Suzeh