Topic: Best Cooking Arrangements CO26

I am getting the Martha Daggett ready for some salt-water work, and am totally perplexed by what to do for cooking. I want to leave the starboard area midships clear for a nav table, so both the tiny sink and whatever I find to cook with goes on the port side.

Any suggestions? I saw the kerosene stove/oven combo post. I've heard various things about most of the fuels and am totally confused. I'd prefer to not have LP gas on the boat, but I've used it in other venues with no problems.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I'd like something gimbaled if possible, and not to career-shortening. Turn-down is important, not much else except safety.

Thanks,

Richard Bunn

Re: Best Cooking Arrangements CO26

My only comment is based on backpacking rather than boating.  Simple is best!  Alchohol stoves aren't as hot, are harder to fill, and not as nice but they don't break.  I've seen people dismantling and reassemling stoves while getting hungrier and hungrier.  I've even had a guy give me an earful about how poor my stove was and then have his erupt in a huge burst of flame and burn his eyebrows off.  Go simple or be hungry!

Seeadler's galley is very very pretty.  However on my 1976 Contessa that same area is entiry occupied by the icebox.  The area on the Port side under and around the sink is void for stowage etc.  So far I am reluctant to rework this arrangment and am instead thinking about how to mount a microwave beneath the sink.

Cooking on my boat in the past has been with a Mini-Galley butane gimballed stove hung over the sink.  It has always worked like a charm and is a proven 'camping' technology.  The stove uses a small pot so frying would be difficult, as would be larger meals.  However for soup or tea it works very well.  I also carry a propane Magma combination BBQ and oven which obviously allows me to expand my menu.

My yacht club has a rule that members are unable to use open-flame appliances in the harbour.  It is for this reason that I am considering the microwave, which I can run from shore power or through my new inverter. 

My advice is to consider what you eat and where you will eat it.  This will help you decide.  Cooking on the BBQ can be done at sea, but the wind can sometimes extinguish the flame.

Given our small boats I would also suggest trying to stick with one fuel source.  For example, if you chose a Kerosene stove you could also fit a Kerosene cabin heater.

Aside:  has anyone experience with the Dickinson Newport 9000 propane cabin heater?

Seeadler originally had the same very large ice box on the starboard side. It has large enough for a small family to live in and so deep it has almost impossible to reach the bottom. I cut it out and built the arrangement in the above pictures. I gained lots of storage space and a gimbled stove without loosing the chart table. An ice box was made to fill the cutout in the back of the V-berth.