Re: Found 3 more

smh, thanks for your help in this and the other topic.

Do you happen to live in holland?
I am looking at a Contessa 26 here in holland, but I cannot take it for a sail without making an offer, because it is ashore.

I have sailed mostly lighter boats, and would love to sail on one before getting serious about buying one.

I don't live in Holland but across the pond in the States.  Keep that quiet if you can.

You were right, smh.
I found the HIN number, it is ZJT031410775.
So it is Canadian, hull number 141, built in 1975 (correct me if
I'm wrong).

So if I want to buy this boat, what are the weaknesses to look for?
So far I've heard:
- osmosis
- wet deck core

Thanks,
Lukas

Hi there,

I think the weakess point of the Co26 is wet deck core around the chain-plates it's easy to check and to fixe but if you let the chain-plates leaks for a long time it is going to get more serious and maybe you will have to change a complete bulkead.

Marco.

Wet Plywood decks:  Easy to check?  yes.  Easy to fix?  Nope.

Hello,

I have a JR 26, sail number 282, and I was told that this was a 75 boat. I have a raised cockpit floor, though this seems to be an aftermarket addition, though I have not had a look underneath the sole yet, that is for the winter.
She is called Daisy Dog (after my late dog) and is moored in Barry Harbour in the Bristol Channel

Add another to the list.  I found hull 295, a 1982 boat.  "Tilikum II".  Iroquois / 1000 Islands, Ontario Canada.

Guess that they didn't make too many boats in the early 80's.....

Also for the list...

Just purchased 1985 JJT #334, not yet named (old name is in the proccess of being vanquished and will not be written or spoken...).  Boat is on the hard in Moultonborough, NH, USA

And so another project begins...

Adrian, good point about the year/hull#/Varuna issue....at the same time as Varuna and yours and my boats was also Bill Buttimore's (he had/has a webpage of his Bahamas trip with his Co26) and since these boats were high profile with many extra upgrades, yes, I believe mine was started in 1984 but finished in 1985...the previous owner said the original owner took delivery in 1985 from the factory but had ordered it a year before...
John, thank you so much for your information: where can I get a copy of your spreadsheet, as I can fill in a lot of boats for you from the Pacific Northwest Coast here!
Thanks.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

There is currently a Contessa 26 name of "Orzel" for sale in Tasmania australia

Here is another one for the list.
I purchased it in Nov 2000, did an extensive refit over 14 months, then took it on a solo crossing to Europe and back.

Name: John Allan
Anchorage: Midland, Ontario, Canada
Boat: 1976, J.J. Taylor, Hull # 161, "Seeadler"
Engine: Inboard Yanmar 1GM10 diesel
HIN# ZJTD31611275
The HIN # says molded in Dec 1975, but all the paperwork says 1976.

Is anyone else having problems veiwing this topic thread? For several of the last postings, I see that there has been new activity (last post dec 1 John Lee), but when I look at the postings, the new posting is not shown. Any coincidence that it is the topic with the most entries?

Okay,  When I make a posting (actually an edit)in this folder it is to the actual Contessa Listing I made on page 1 (see bottom of this table and you will the last edit date).  I list whomever I just updated there, this way I do not fill up this folder with lots and lots of Thank You's for finding me new data for my Contessa Listing for both JJT and JR boats.  I hope this helps out.

Thanks, I get it now. It's new posts and/or updates.

My boat is:

Purchased November, 2004
Name: Mark Sherlock
Anchorage: Victoria, BC, Canada
Boat: 1979, J.J. Taylor, Hull # 216, "Aurelius"
Engine: Yanmar 1GM10

According to the number on the hull it looks like the hull was started in 1978 but finished in 1979.  It is documented as a 1979 in all the official papers.

I would like to add my boat to the list!  Don't know her original name, but what I do know follows:
Tiny Dancer
1983  # JJTZTT033040383
Homer Alaska
inboard Yanmar diesel 1gm 10hp
purchased November 2005
owner: Kristin Domela

I am working on finding the original name!
Anything anyone can tell me about this make and year, would be great!
Thanks

SMH: I know of three other boats, mine included, that say one year on the HID# but all documentation is the following year:  and mine is a registered vessel (with Ship's registry...internationally registered)  and all her documentation says 1985 for her "year", but she has 84 at the end of her serial/transom #s...and she has been a registered vessel since the 1st owner picked her up brand new in 1985 in Toronto. (I am fourth owner) So, he would have presented the papers (that I still have) where he is owner of a 1985 boat, but hull id# has 84 at the end.
Egads, did she lie about her age to me when I fell for the pretty blue hull and lovely lines?!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

I have seen this with other Contessa 26.  As past writers have stated, The hull was made one year (ie., 1984)but the rest of boat was not constructed until the following year, thus the year of the boat (ie., 1985).  This shows up in my table, especially in the sail numbers being out of order to the year of the boat, something SMH que me in on when I first started the Contessa 26 listing.

My Contessa #161 is in the same situation. The serial # show Dec 75, but the paperwork says 1976. The first thing that goes into the mold is the impression for the HIN #, then mold release and gelcoat and time for it to harden, then the glass layup. Even though the resin is hard to the touch within a few hours, it should be left in the mold for 3 to 7 days. Then all the cabinetry and fittings and deck joined. Then there's the Christmas and New Years holidays and then the slow downs while trying to get the display ready for the Toronto boat show in January. It is surprising the boat ever gets delivered.

Found Tiny Dancer's original name and owner:  Havalla- David Mathews.  Is this all I need to register along with my last posting?

You can include these boats on your list.
My own 1972 JJT26 "Polaris" hull number 41, Sidney,BC
and two other local boats
1975 JJT26 "Oriana III" hull number 118, Sidney, BC
1982 JJT26 "Cloud Nine" hull number 293, Victoria, BC

Some more JJTs that you don't seem to have John.

1985 330 Virunga- Vancouver BC(Currently under repair at Sidney BC)
1974   ?   Ceilidh- NB
1974   ?   Fairbourne- KS
1975   ?   Phoenix- Halifax NS
1976   ?   Nana- Mexico
1976   ?   Teal III- MA