Topic: Any ideas, suggestions or new thoughts for LOCA meetings in 2013?
I've volunteered to help put gather feedback and ideas to put together a program outline for the 2013 season.
At the meeting on November 1, we generally agreed that we would try for 3 major sail events, 2 speaker events and monthly meetings to stay in touch.
What type of events would you like to see? So far the following has been suggested...
1. A fun "race". The idea being to get some Contessa's on the water and improving your sailing ability . It will all be in good fun. We're going to make it possible for everyone to participate since many of the group have never raced before and almost none of us have PHRF or IRC ratings.
2. A Toronto Area cruise weekend. This will be fairly light and social as many of us already live here. It will likely be hosted by one of the yacht clubs with our members in attendance.
3. A Western Lake Ontario cruise. This will be a longer distance cruise for those that live in Toronto. The idea being that we can put our cruising skills to proper use and go new places. We're open to suggestions on a pleasant destination. Likely 10-27NM from Toronto... as far east as Cobourg, as far west as Hamilton, or as far south as Niagara-on-the-Lake. We didn't talk about crossing the border but that's an option I suppose.
Also, bertinol is looking to setup a couple speaker nights. Do you have any ideas on what topics you would like to hear/see? Just to get the discussion started...
- Solo cruising ...
- History of JJ Taylor and the Contessa...
- Port reviews and slide shows from around the lake from those that have been there... (maybe several members can present photos from their area or places they've travelled?)
- <Place your ideas here!>
Finally, would you prefer to have a fixed night for meetings or should we pick dates at each event? For example, should we pick something like, "First Thursday of the month"? Or should we leave it up for discussion?
We're looking to solidify the program outline by December and then begin picking dates in January after the boat show. Please submit all of your ideas now if you want them included on the calendar!