Topic: DIY mast hinge pictorial
I’ve put together a DIY mast hinge for single handed raising/lowering which is similar to the one in the tech notes, but utilizes parts I had on hand (no cost project). This version is rock solid and I believe it will be a bit steadier at the hinge.
List of parts that I used:
1. Tabernacle hinge base plate 6.5” x 3.5” x 1/8" thick: I had this left over from another boat project, but I believe they are available from rig-rite as a top and bottom assembly. I have also seen some on eBay.
I suppose one could just fabricate the base plate with some 1/8" stainless and use a vise to make the bends.
2. Two stainless steel deck eyes (U-bolts)
3. HDPE cutting board: used for shims since the base plate I had was a hair too short.
4. Four stainless steel screws
5. A small piece of teak to spread the load: May be overkill, but I did it anyway.