1 (edited by Vince P 2017-12-05 09:23:21)

Topic: DIY mast hinge pictorial

I’ve put together a DIY mast hinge for single handed raising/lowering which is similar to the one in the tech notes, but utilizes parts I had on hand (no cost project).  This version is rock solid and I believe it will be a bit steadier at the hinge.
List of parts that I used:
1. Tabernacle hinge base plate 6.5” x 3.5” x 1/8" thick: I had this left over from another boat project, but I believe they are available from rig-rite as a top and bottom assembly.  I have also seen some on eBay.
I suppose one could just fabricate the base plate with some 1/8" stainless and use a vise to make the bends.
2. Two stainless steel deck eyes (U-bolts)
3. HDPE cutting board: used for shims since the base plate I had was a hair too short.
4. Four stainless steel screws
5. A small piece of teak to spread the load: May be overkill, but I did it anyway.

2 (edited by Vince P 2017-12-05 07:45:46)

Re: DIY mast hinge pictorial

Step 1:  Drew up a paper template of bottom of the mast foot. The tabernacle hinge base plate is shown in the picture.  Disregard the drawing on the right, it was for plans that I abandoned.

Post's attachments

IMG_9320a.jpg
IMG_9320a.jpg 172.67 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Step 2:
Transferred the templated to the base plate.  Note the block of HDPE that I used in one of the following steps.

Post's attachments

IMG_9332 cropped a.jpg
IMG_9332 cropped a.jpg 70.7 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

4 (edited by Vince P 2017-12-05 07:28:47)

Step 3:
Using a 4” cutting disc on an angle grinder, I cut out the rectangle for the mast tenon on the base plate.  I also cut the side of the plate to form the hinge.  Filed and sanded all rough edges.
The deck eyes that I used are on the left.

Post's attachments

IMG_9339a.jpg
IMG_9339a.jpg 156.93 kb, 1 downloads since 2017-12-05 

5 (edited by Vince P 2017-12-05 09:14:17)

Step 4:
After drilling the four holes into the deck for the deck eyes, I did a dry fit of the hinge to the mortise on the deck and found the base plate needed to be slightly longer.  I found that the best solution to this problem was to shim the deck eyes on an angle towards the mast from the top and bottom of the deck.  I used some 1/8” slices cut on an angle from a HDPE cutting board (also left over from another boat project).

Post's attachments

IMG_9340a.jpg
IMG_9340a.jpg 161.08 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

6 (edited by Vince P 2017-12-05 09:15:07)

Step 5:
Drilled holes in the base plate and matching holes in the mast foot.  Tapped threads in the mast foot holes and used stainless steel screws to attach the base plate to the mast foot.  I broke many drill bits trying to get through the stainless steel base plate.
Assembled the mast hinge to the deck and trimmed the base plate where necessary for a proper fit.  Note the shims under the deck eyes.

Post's attachments

IMG_9346a.jpg
IMG_9346a.jpg 172.29 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

7 (edited by Vince P 2017-12-05 09:17:20)

Step 6:
From below the deck, I installed the other shims (not visible in the photo below) and a piece of teak over the shims to spread the load.  The teak may not be necessary since the load may have been already spread between the small plates on the two deck eyes.
Lastly, I cut off the bottom of the deck eyes and filed rough edges to be flush with the nuts.

Post's attachments

IMG_9345a.jpg
IMG_9345a.jpg 118.14 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

8 (edited by Vince P 2017-12-05 09:18:06)

A view of the extended hinge.  Yes, I need to do some gel coat repair around the mortise.
I will rig some guy-lines to the mast when raising and will post more pictures of the process at that point.

Post's attachments

IMG_9348a.jpg
IMG_9348a.jpg 142.38 kb, 1 downloads since 2017-12-05 

Nice job!  To remove the mast you remove the mast base from the mast?

10 (edited by Vince P 2017-12-06 04:39:42)

Yes, there are two screws going horizontally into the mast foot from the mast. I may put a little lubricant on the foot to make it slide on/off easier.