Topic: Just Bought a Contessa 26

Hello!

I' a retired American living in the Azores and just bought a Contessa 26 this past week.  She has been mentioned on this site before by a previous owner with the name Ushuaia.  The current name is Coracao Simples (Portuguese for Simple Heart).  I will be renaming her after our future (first) granddaughter's name.  Have to get that renaming ceremony done right!

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and I really appreciate you all creating and maintaining this site.  I'm definitely a newbie to keel boat sailing but I think the Contessa is a wonderful boat that will be able to take me from beginner to one day hopefully making a transatlantic voyage from here and back!

I look forward to talking with a lot of you in the future!

Scott

Re: Just Bought a Contessa 26

Scott-- post some pictures of her if you have them.

Hello Vince!  It looks like I can only attach one photo per post.  Here she is in the Angra marina where she is right now.

Post's attachments

SV_Ava.jpg
SV_Ava.jpg 318.01 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Here is another from the Angra marina

Post's attachments

SV_Ava-1.JPG
SV_Ava-1.JPG 305.58 kb, 2 downloads since 2017-10-30 

5 (edited by serwin 2017-10-30 15:26:04)

One more:

Post's attachments

SV_Ava-2.JPG
SV_Ava-2.JPG 299.66 kb, 5 downloads since 2017-10-30 

And this is the Praia marina which is much closer to home.  I already have a slip there and hope that tomorrow my friends and I will be able to sail her around to the new slip.  Should be about a 4 hour sail or so if the weather stays good.  We're getting into winter now and there will be less good sailing days so I need to get it moved soon. It will actually be my first sail on her!  Unfortunately I'm still a newbie at this and still trying to get trained.  We were in Orlando Florida visiting my son and his wife this past Aug/Sep and I was able to get in the ASA 101 at Harbortown Marina on Merritt Island near Cape Canaveral 2 days before Irma hit!  It's a start anyway!

Post's attachments

Praia_Marina.jpg
Praia_Marina.jpg 108.89 kb, 10 downloads since 2017-10-30 

7 (edited by Vince P 2017-11-27 04:44:11)

Nice boat, I've seen the video of Ushuaia on YouTube.   Seems to be quite an accomplished vessel and since it's a JJT model, I'm guessing its done at least one Atlantic crossing.
I did the ASA 101 course as well, it's a great way to start.

8 (edited by serwin 2018-01-26 16:26:32)

Sorry I've not been in here lately!  I did get the boat moved around to the closer marina and it was a very nice sail!  Fortunately I had two really experienced sailors help me bring her around.  One has been living aboard his boat since 1978.  He also happens to be a retired RYA instructor.  So I'm hoping to see if he would be willing give me some hands-on training.  When we arrived at the marina, he put the boat into the slip perfectly like he been sailing her for years.  He made it like he was parking the family car!  I mentioned this to him and he said it was years of practice and that he had his share of mistakes along the way.  He also sails a full keel boat and knows how they handle.

I think that video is when the owner at that time brought her from Horta, Faial over to Terceira when his job moved him here.  I also have some history of the boat from his old blog.  I also pulled a lot of his pictures off this website.  I think the boat came over from Canada in 2006.   I have a few projects to work on and I know one day that the old Farymann will need to be replaced as I think parts are hard to come by these days.  I've been toying with the idea of going electric but I'll need to do some more research.

I'll post a couple of photos from the trip around.

Scott

Post's attachments

trip1.jpg
trip1.jpg 161.78 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

9 (edited by serwin 2018-01-26 16:22:48)

Looking back towards Angra.

Post's attachments

trip2.jpg
trip2.jpg 164.8 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

10 (edited by serwin 2018-01-26 16:20:16)

In her new berth in the Praia marina:

Post's attachments

marina.jpg
marina.jpg 242.75 kb, 1 downloads since 2018-01-27 

Beautiful boat.  Welcome.

12 (edited by serwin 2019-07-18 05:28:15)

Thanks Jordan!  Still lots of projects to do but I need to get out and get sailing her.  Now is the good weather for a sailing newbie like me!  Luckily I have a friend here who can help me get up to speed.  He sailed down here in the Jester Challenge in a junk rigged Kingfisher 26.  -- Scott