1 (edited by Vince P 2019-03-28 14:03:09)

Topic: Cutlass Bearing

Any tips on replacing a cutlass bearing?  The one on my 76 JJT seems to be pressed with no set screws and I’m assuming they all came that way.
I pretty much have the shaft out and wanted to see what others have done before getting out the hammer.

Re: Cutlass Bearing

Mine (1971) had 2 or 3 set screws, buried under paint.

It turns out that mine had no set screws and is simply a friction fit/ interference fit type.  The stern tube is flush with the back of the keel, so set screws would’ve been unlikely. 
It took some creativity, but after cutting several slots in the brass part of the bearing and peeling it back somewhat, I was able to pound it out from the inside using socket that just fit in the ID of the stern tube and a pipe against the socket.

Vince did you happen to take any photos?  My cutlass bearing is needing to be replaced soon as well.  It makes a bad noise for a while when the transmission is put into gear (fwd or rev).  It does quiet down after running in gear for a little while though.  I had the shaft replaced but to my dismay they didn't replace the cutlass bearing as I had wanted.  By then it was too late--would have had to stay in the yard until later in the fall because of structures that get put up for a big festival here block the lift for a few months!

Vince did you happen to take any photos?  My cutlass bearing is needing to be replaced soon as well.  It makes a bad noise for a while when the transmission is put into gear (fwd or rev).  It does quiet down after running in gear for a little while though.  I had the shaft replaced but to my dismay they didn't replace the cutlass bearing as I had wanted.  By then it was too late--would have had to stay in the yard until later in the fall because of structures that get put up for a big festival here block the lift for a few months!

Here is what mine looked like after they pulled the old shaft:

Post's attachments

IMG_20180517_201355.jpg 801.62 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

7 (edited by Vince P 2019-07-19 04:26:59)

I did record some video and can take some screenshots.  What were you looking for exactly?
You will of course need to disconnect the shaft flange from the engine and remove the flange from the shaft to change the cutlass bearing.  If it’s the one piece type, they corrode rather quickly (within 1-2 years) and should be replaced once removed since it’s an interference fit and the flange hole becomes bigger from corrosion.  This doesn’t apply to the two piece flange.

Serwin- I'll post a video in the coming weeks and add a link here.

Super!  Thanks Vince!

Thanks Vince!