A place for Contessa 26 owners to post their boats for sale. There is no cost to post an ad. If you'd like to add a boat to the marketplace, forward the ad copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other items for sale are listed in the For Sale section of the Contessa Corner Forums.
Varuna #324 is actually for sale due to health reasons (Parkinson’s) and just isn’t getting properly used. She went around the world with Tania and from Maine to the Bahamas and back with me in 2008-9 and has proved to be a very trustworthy and safe boat in all kinds of conditions. On deck she shows obvious age wear and tear and could use some painting tlc on some metal bits, but everything works.
- Original Monitor self steering gear works like a charm… lots of spares that I have never used
- 4 man Avon dinghy container mounts on deck…inspected before Bahamas trip
- Epirb…inspected before Bahamas trip
- Beta 10 diesel is superb….runs trouble free like new with 752hrs on her…cruises at 5.2kn at 2400rpm with plastic prop
- LCD radar on mast with swing out panel display in companionway
- New Garmin chart plotter this year (old one died in winter storage and couldn’t be serviced) This one has build in sounder. Nice!
- Paper charts include for the entire US East Coast and the Bahamas to Gerogetown
- Also included a bunch of paper charts for world cruising…most Pacific, I think…. have never looked at them much as never wanted to go that far
- New main for Bahamas trip…have spare old main that is a bit baggy
- Excellent troublefree roller furler for jib, genoa, and storm jib
- Jib has seen better days but is a good cut and a great shape so has life left.
- Genoa seems a poor cut to me so I don’t like its shape, and I rarely use it
- Storm jib is like new…but has been a lifesaver…Varuna can beat off a lea shore with her alone
- Storm trysail is also included…great condition….have never used it
- Custom bow roller for CQR anchor…makes dropping and hauling/stowing anchor effortless.
- Two separate Danforth style anchors…one kept folded and one setup with some chain and 100’ of rode
- Sea anchor….never used so no comment
- Standing rigging seems in good shape…. steps on mast.
- Tricolor on top of mast with LED for anchor light…good shape
- New wiring to bow and stern lights…. lenses do show aging
- Electric bilge pump with optional mercury switch
- Manual bilge pump….used only once in a panic when sailing on a std tack in strong winds water siphoned down the electric pump outlet ( now I keep that outlet closed except when wanted!)
- New fresh water pump diaphragm this year…don’t know how old the old one was as it came with the boat to me
- Two new quality batteries (that will hold a charge over the winter!!!) installed last year. One is one of those weird looking Optima ones….not cheap!
- Running rigging is looking faded, but seems sturdy…. did replace jib sheets last years with smaller dia that seem to work better in the self-tailing winches
- Hundreds of feet of new Samsonline included…mostly running rigging size
- Lots of stainless metal spares from turnbuckles to bolts to screws
- Force 10 two burner kerosene stove with gimbaled propane single burner mounted above it for quick jobs
- New VHF and handheld VHF for Bahamas trip
- Porta potty…removed old sea water potty thru hulls and glassed over openings
- Dodger with custom frame included but don’t keep it mounted for just summer sailing as it restricts visibility.
- Cockpit spray curtains included
- Vintage Avon inflatable dinghy shows aging but holds air fine…. I keep it stowed up forward below.
- Newer berth cushions below with matching backrest material…no forward v-berth cushions
- Hand operated sea water filter… never used so no comment…. these things aren’t cheap!
- 12 gallon diesel tank…great shape… cleaned for Bahamas trip
- Engine has a spin-on diesel filter, but a second Napa one with water separated is there too…never seems to be any water in it.
- New switch panels and much new wiring
- Also included are your choice of about 50 mariners books…from weather to world cruising to seamanship…Maiden Voyage NOT included!
I am sure I have forgotten something…perhaps even something important. Her price is $25,000 USD firm ( which is about 1/2 of what I have invested in her.) Not cheap…. in the water in Harpswell, Maine. What fun this boat has been, though, and you would not believe how often people still spot the big VARUNA name on her cabin sides and radio over for a comment…even one FL bridge tender request a channel change for a conversation.
If you are a serious buyer… Varuna can be sailed away right now safely/reliably to anywhere alone the US East Coast ( or to Canada!) to get in touch and come round for a trial sail. However, although I will endeavor to answer questions via email, I am not interested in general chatting/stories and such due to my health and slow typing.
My email address is email@example.com sorry…. no phone number until I know I want to talk to you.